I am hearing bits and pieces about this in various places on this site. Now I invite you to weigh in on how your year went - briefly or in exquisite detail as suits your personality. Who's first?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This has been a strange year for us. We tried to do more local shows which meant going from high end art shows back down to craft shows. Our Shows for 2008 totaled 15 and for 2009 totaled 18. Our gross sales went down 10.65% but our net income went up by about 3%. Our product lines from $8 to $1500, with an average sale of $44 per ticket. The total number of sales were up but the average sale total was down. We sold lots of $8 earrings and several pendants and necklaces in the $85 to $185 range. We even sold one of our $1500 necklaces and had lots of interest in others in the same range. Craft shows totaled 7 of our 18 shows yet attributed 47% of our gross sales. Our plans for this year include adding more shows and less costlier shows. One of our biggest problems has been Zapp shows. We use to get into alot of the top shows but are having terrible time getting into the shows now that they are Zapp shows. We have used two professional photographers and it still doesn't matter. Up until 2008, my daughter made her living with art shows but the last two years she has to had a minium wage part-time job to make a living. We look forward to having a great 2010 and hope everyone keeps a positive attitude and sell lots.
    MONYMAN

Image1.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image6.jpg

• Happy New Year. Now with 2009 behind us, I am looking at the 2010 season. I create handcrafted jewelry and live in the Pittsburgh area. I have applied to 3 Rivers Ars Festival here in Pittsburgh. If I get in, that would be my expensive show. I try to look for reasonably priced shows. Could someone comment on what I could expect if I applied and got in Lakefront Art Festival in Michigan City, In. So far I have only travelled within a 2 hr radius so I wouldn't have to pay for hotel. This would be a real big stretch travelwise for me. Thanks
  • Hi Toni - I see you are from the U.P, so definately try to get into Marquette's Art on the Rocks.... I think deadline is 1/14. My art is definately aimed at shows along any of the Great Lakes, so I'm a little careful to focus on those shows. Although a few near Detroit were good for me - specifically Plymouth and you may want to try either of the Novi GLAF shows. I think deadline for the spring show is coming up quickly. Altho I typically have a tall ship event the weekend of Ann Arbor, I've heard that show continues to be a potential money maker even in this economy. Given your home location, you may want to try the ones from Traverse City and north along the lake. There are a few good ones and from what I've experienced last year, these typical vacation areas continue to draw vacationers looking to spend $$ on art. Not sure how you feel about traveling, but the either of the Bayfield, WI shows have been profitable, although not as good as a few years ago. Wishing you success in 2010.

Toni Saari said:
    Hi , I am new to the traveling shows and wondering what shows in Michigan that you find beneficial? I am a metalsmith working mostly in silver and wondering how to find what shows I should apply for? Can you help me out at all? thanks TONI

Linda Anderson said:
    I spent 2009 expanding into nearby states of Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota (previously did only WI and few Michigan). My husband retired so we were free to travel and I loved the travel and experiences that new areas brought to our knowledge base. While I've spent my whole life traveling throughout Michigan, I've never viewed it from a marketing position. Hands down Michigan brings me the highest sales since I focus on Great Lakes Nautical and Nature and Michigan has (4) Great Lakes. Michiganders know their lakes, tall ships, lighthouses and harbors. I had only (2) of (28) shows that were not break even and many success surprises along the way. Met marvelous people, both artists and patrons and developed relationships that I'm sure will be long lasting. Greatest financial benefit to these shows has been the increase of hits and purchases on my website. If I could pass on any advice to those just starting out.... it is important to have a website and exposure is high on the list of importance if not the most important. It also helps to have a local gallery/shop as a home base not only to grow from, but also to have a constant exposure/sales to benefit from. While I have had my local gallery and nearby shows/events for many years and have become a local favorite, this year of travel out of state has been the best way to increase exposure & sales. I hope to do more Michigan shows in 2010 and, since I am Great Lakes, expand to Ohio and further East.

All in all, 2010 has been my best year, not so much for sales, but for learning, adapting, and meeting wonderful people. My sales per show were overall down about 25%. However, thanks to the economy, I believe we've all learned to redefine out thought processes, work flow and efficiency.

My best to all of you for a wonderful holiday season and wishing everyone a fantastic 2010.
  • Hi , I am new to the traveling shows and wondering what shows in Michigan that you find beneficial? I am a metalsmith working mostly in silver and wondering how to find what shows I should apply for? Can you help me out at all? thanks TONI

Linda Anderson said:
    I spent 2009 expanding into nearby states of Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota (previously did only WI and few Michigan). My husband retired so we were free to travel and I loved the travel and experiences that new areas brought to our knowledge base. While I've spent my whole life traveling throughout Michigan, I've never viewed it from a marketing position. Hands down Michigan brings me the highest sales since I focus on Great Lakes Nautical and Nature and Michigan has (4) Great Lakes. Michiganders know their lakes, tall ships, lighthouses and harbors. I had only (2) of (28) shows that were not break even and many success surprises along the way. Met marvelous people, both artists and patrons and developed relationships that I'm sure will be long lasting. Greatest financial benefit to these shows has been the increase of hits and purchases on my website. If I could pass on any advice to those just starting out.... it is important to have a website and exposure is high on the list of importance if not the most important. It also helps to have a local gallery/shop as a home base not only to grow from, but also to have a constant exposure/sales to benefit from. While I have had my local gallery and nearby shows/events for many years and have become a local favorite, this year of travel out of state has been the best way to increase exposure & sales. I hope to do more Michigan shows in 2010 and, since I am Great Lakes, expand to Ohio and further East.

All in all, 2010 has been my best year, not so much for sales, but for learning, adapting, and meeting wonderful people. My sales per show were overall down about 25%. However, thanks to the economy, I believe we've all learned to redefine out thought processes, work flow and efficiency.

My best to all of you for a wonderful holiday season and wishing everyone a fantastic 2010.
  • The "best day" and "best show" were at the Historic Shaw Art Fair in St. Louis, MO. This is more of a fine art show. My second best show, with sales around $6000, was at a craftier show, the War Eagle Fair in NW Arkansas. Both are in October, so that was a great month for me!

When I was planning my 2009 show schedule last year I must admit that I steered clear of all Michigan shows. I sure hope things pick up for your state soon!
  • Wow, sounds like you had a great year...would you mind sharing which were your two best shows? I'm in Michigan with a very depressed economy and am wondering if other parts of the country are doing better. Thanks.

Jan Raven said:
    The context: Last year was only my fourth year doing shows, and my second year for which my art is my only source of income. I did 18 shows, four fewer than the year before.

The data: My overall net income was down only 2% from 2008 (which was my best year ever, financially speaking!). Income from art shows in 2008 was 89% of my total income, but decreased to 86% in 2009. My online and gallery sales increased in 2009, making up for the decrease in show income.

The analysis: I was terrified in early 2008, when the economy was beginning to tank and I had already made the commitment to rely solely on selling my jewelry (as opposed to working construction, my former career). The success of the first few shows in 2008 calmed me down, as sales went fairly well. By this time last year I was no longer worried about the economy and didn't feel any trepidation about my ability to support myself this year. My sense this year for many of the shows I attended is that while the total number of show patrons was down, the ones who did attend were the ones who came to BUY. We lost the "Sunday drivers" who only go to shows to walk around with friends and look, but do not buy. This year I had my best show ever (just under $8K) and best one-day ever (just under $4k). The one thing I did notice, anecdotally, is that the "middle" disappeared. Expensive pieces still moved, but more of my lower priced items (under $40) sold. The $100-$200 market seemed to dry up. I noticed this in the middle of the year and increased my offerings at the low end. I may drop some of those items this year because I don't really want to make them if I don't have to.
  • Being the first year that I jumped into the outdoor shows, with my work evolving to art more than craft, it was very educational. All in all, I am pleased with the sales and especially with the positive feedback. The expenses were high this year, as I purchased my displays, tent, etc., so hoping next year will be profitable. We all have definitions of a "successful" show, and finding our market continues to be a challenge. As many have said before, there's a lot of trial and error to experience!

2010 brings many goals- I will add more shows here in Michigan, get my website refined, create facebook & twitter links, and explore more marketing options. Although the shows are work, they provide such encouragement and allow me to build my customer base, that they continue to be my best choice. I will explore additional galleries, while wholesale has not seemed a good fit at this time. Another goal is larger work, as there seems to be a need for it.

Being "new" in the circuit, I have not attempted the larger well-known shows. The smaller shows that offer quality artists and a wonderful atmosphere keep me happy. My original artwork is usually $100 - $175 and has moved well, however the framed prints and items under $40 go quicker.

I am looking forward to all I will learn this coming year, and keep the hope that many people are learning to appreciate & support work created by people they can actually meet and make a connection with. Without hope, where would we be?
  • Hey Nels,

Some of us just have SO MUCH going on :) that we couldn't get here to do the wrap up on time.

And actually, no brag-just fact, I did end the year with a flurry. A commission that had been put on hold because of a commissioning-family-problem in October, suddenly gained a deadline of Christmas Day. Made it but just barely. Then my website yielded up a couple of "ship-quick-please" deals. Unexpected and lovely. An indoor show in early December that normally is a lukewarm-OK turned out to be a barnburner. Who would of thought?!

At this point, I don't know whether to be annoyed with the media for giving us gloom&doom last year at jury time, or thank them. Because of what they were telling us, I looked way more seriously at things like jury fees (Uptown going to a $40 jury fee? bah humbug), where shows were at (sorry, Michigan, but I couldn't risk it) number of shows (not a good year for giving donation jury fees to shows that have never let me in in the past, so why bother)

I ended up going out of state, Iowa, only twice, and one was just across the river into Omaha, also a trip to tried and true Lake Forest, Illinois. I really have the gut instinct that Iowegians were annoyed with the media for telling them they didn't have any money left, when a lot of them still did. And so they came out and proved it. It was a good year to stay home and be an Iowegian.

Now, it must be time to catch my breath and make some decisions for 2010. Update at eleven :)

Later, Cooper
    http://karencooperpaintings.com

Nels Johnson said:
    Gee. Not a lot of input here. Doesn't anybody have something to say about 2009? Out of 1700 plus members, this is a pathetic reaction. Come on people get off your lazy butts and give some input. Personally, since I joined Facebook two weeks ago i get much better feedback from my 75 artist friends. I hope I stirred up the bee's nest--Nels
  • The context: Last year was only my fourth year doing shows, and my second year for which my art is my only source of income. I did 18 shows, four fewer than the year before.

The data: My overall net income was down only 2% from 2008 (which was my best year ever, financially speaking!). Income from art shows in 2008 was 89% of my total income, but decreased to 86% in 2009. My online and gallery sales increased in 2009, making up for the decrease in show income.

The analysis: I was terrified in early 2008, when the economy was beginning to tank and I had already made the commitment to rely solely on selling my jewelry (as opposed to working construction, my former career). The success of the first few shows in 2008 calmed me down, as sales went fairly well. By this time last year I was no longer worried about the economy and didn't feel any trepidation about my ability to support myself this year. My sense this year for many of the shows I attended is that while the total number of show patrons was down, the ones who did attend were the ones who came to BUY. We lost the "Sunday drivers" who only go to shows to walk around with friends and look, but do not buy. This year I had my best show ever (just under $8K) and best one-day ever (just under $4k). The one thing I did notice, anecdotally, is that the "middle" disappeared. Expensive pieces still moved, but more of my lower priced items (under $40) sold. The $100-$200 market seemed to dry up. I noticed this in the middle of the year and increased my offerings at the low end. I may drop some of those items this year because I don't really want to make them if I don't have to.
  • 2009 was a disaster for me. I did 35 shows, with most of them being rain and wind events. Add to this the fact that people were extremely concerned about their jobs/future/economy, saw sales of framed pieces practically disappear. I had anticipate this and added prints, photo cards and matted pieces, but $3.00 photo cards and $20 matted pieces cannot make up for loss of frame sales.

For the shows where it did not rain, customer foot traffic was down considerably; those who were there browsed, but carried few bags/items. At several shows which were winners in 2008, many of the artists and crafters I spoke with had the same reaction I did..."What happened, were was everybody." There were a lot of empty spaces at shows which had waiting lists in 2007 and 2008.

If I survive at all, will probably only be able to afford about 5 shows...did not generate enough positive cash flow to save up for future fees or even buy inventory. May not even be able to do anything in 2010.
This reply was deleted.