May 10 - June 7
St. George, Utah
Presented By: Oil Painters Of America
Deadline: January 25
Application Fee: $30 for one; $45 for two; $60 for three
Oil Painters of America's is pleased to announce that the Twenty-Eighth National Exhibition and Convention will be hosted by Illume Gallery of Fine Art in Saint George, Utah, from May 10 through June 7, 2019. Convention activities begin on May 6, with a Wet Paint Competition in both studio and plein air divisions.
- Cash and merchandise awards for the Wet Paint competition will be a minimum of $10,000.
- The opening reception for artists, collectors, the public and the press will be held on Friday, May 10, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., with the awards presentation taking place at 7:30 p.m.
- Many informative and educational seminars are being planned for the convention, preceding the opening of the exhibition.
Our goal for this show is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
- Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA National Exhibition.
- Submission must be originally conceived, artist's own reference, own drawing, own concept and must have been self -painted.
- Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
- No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or of any reference to which you do not hold total copyright are allowed.
- NO digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/or paint the image on the substrate him/herself.
- Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2" beyond the back of the frame.
- Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable.
- Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
Jury Process: Submissions will go through two jurying processes to become eligible for the National Exhibition. If accepted into the show the awarding juror, OPA Master Signature member Kenn Backhaus OPAM, will select the award-winning paintings.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2019 at a cost of $70.00. More membership information may be found on the OPA website, under the Member Services tab.
Contact: Liz Pusch (815) 356-5987 LPusch@oilpaintersofamerica.com