The fair takes place in the National Historic Landmark village of Waterford. Streets are closed. Both indoor and outdoor space is available.
The 15,000+ visitors who attend annually enjoy strolling through the streets, touring homes, learning about the artisans and their work and purchasing their wares. Fair organizers cater to all artistic preferences and budgets of the attendees. The result is a tasteful selection of juried high-quality, handmade products in twelve (12) media categories.
Founded in 1733, Waterford is situated in western Loudoun County - DC's wine country. For the 10th year in a row, Loudoun County, Virginia, has been named the No. 1 county in America for median household income, this year coming in at $134,464, according to U.S. Census Bureau reports. The second highest rated county, Fairfax, is our easterly neighbor.
Over the years, artisans have come to appreciate the warmth of the Waterford welcome and the support they receive from our well-educated and loyal clientele, villagers and volunteers. Many stay with local residents, forgoing hotels and the associated expenses.
New this year:
We are accepting contemporary artisans! Works eligible for exhibition and sale include traditional and contemporary basketry, clay, fiber/textile, heritage foods, furniture, glass, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media/other, paper and wood.
Our marketing campaign is extensive. Working with a PR firm that specialized in large events, our promotions cover the Mid-Atlantic region and includes but are not limited to the following:
* Radio coverage in both the DC Metro and Western Virginia/Eastern West Virginia areas
* Promotional displays in all 11 Virginia State Welcome Centers
* Social media coverage for general event and individual artisans' promotion
* Email campaign to over 14,000 Foundation members and area residents
* Ticket sales promoted through Eventbrite and Wegmans Stores
* TV promos on local DC metro area stations
* Newspapers, magazine and online advertising (Wash Post, TripAdvisor, Virginia Living, AAA, etc.)
* "Save the Date" cards sent to artisan as jpeg/pdf for own use promoting to their customer base
* Poster and rack card distribution to county businesses including 45+ wineries and breweries
* 75' banner on Dulles Greenway (toll) and 10' sign at village entrance; daily exposure 20,000+ drivers
* Collaboration with Visit Loudoun and the Virginia Tourism Corporation to further our reach
"I drove 1,680 miles round trip to participate in the 2018 74th Annual Waterford Fair and I can say without hesitation, it was worth every mile. The autumn season is a popular time for fairs, but this is the one you want to be at.
The historic town of Waterford provides the perfect backdrop, and the show organizers and volunteers could not have been more accommodating and professional. Visitors were plentiful, sophisticated, and enthusiastic spenders, and host a kid's activity and offering live artisan demonstration at the booth drove traffic, definitely increase sales, and created an energy, excitement, and level of engagement with the visitors that few shows can match. The caliber of artist was impressive, and our neighboring artisans couldn't have been more professional, supportive during set-up and show hours, and fun to be with; we left with new friends, and promises to return next year.
As Artists, our time and resources are limited, so we need to pick shows carefully, but this is a pick that pays-off. Great venue, great people, great exposure, great energy, and strong sales. Hope to be back next year, and hope to see you there!" from a Galena, IL based artisan."
The Waterford Fair is open to demonstrating artisans who produce fine goods, crafted using materials and tools traditionally used in America in the 18th and 19th centuries. Goods may be traditional or contemporary in style. We are looking for both seasoned and innovative, young artisans. All work must be original in concept and design and be made and displayed by the artisan. All displayed work must be for sale, with prices clearly marked. Artisans may also take orders for works but must work directly with purchaser.