Does anyone know if the Riverfront Art Festival in Columbus, Ohio (otherwise known as via Columbus) is going to be held again this year?  I found some information on it here (http://www.dispatchevents.com/content/topic/riverfront-arts/interested-in-exhibiting.html) but there is no Zapp registration set up and neither of the promoters it says to contact are answering me. 

I suppose I should take that as a bad sign!  Last year was my first year doing this festival, and honestly, it was one of my worst shows of the year, but the weather was absolutely horrible and the dates had been changed, so I can't blame people for not wanting to come out in the 40 degree rain!  I believe in giving each show two chances to prove itself, so I wanted to do the festival again, but I'm wondering if its not going to be held.

Just curious if anyone else was planning on doing it or had heard anything.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I gave it two chances when Jay was running it. Too long, too many extra expenses, and not enough buying public. The first year I did it, it was okay and just enough to try it again. The second year reeked and everyone around me besides myself lost money. I stopped doing it, and I had heard that last year was decent, although it sounds like that report was ill-founded. I thought the show would improve under the new ownership, but crappy weather may have blown that. Perhaps if you can find the promoter, you can learn more. My feel is that with the major Columbus show moving back to that location, it may seal the fate of the Riverfront show. Check with the Fire on the Water organization and see if that have information as the art show was linked to the music show.

• That is a good idea to check with Fire and Water.  I'm sort of feeling like if the promoter can't return a response she must not be wanting artists too badly.

The weather was really really bad last year.  Very unseasonable for September in Ohio.  We were all running out and buying space heaters and hundling up.  It rained or was foggy most of the time.  I certainly wouldnt have come out if I was a buyer!

They did a really cool thing with college students where on Friday night they gave them all $100 worth of art bucks that they could give to an artist to purchase artwork, and then the next day we could turn them in for cash.  I thought that was a great idea!  But that was the highlight of the weekend.  I believe Saturday they actually told us we could leave a few hours early b/c there was absolutely no one there.  I sat for 3 hours Saturday and did not see one person other than other grumpy artists. 

But I was certainly hoping it was a bad weather fluke and this year would be nicer.  Just never know though!

• Here's my review from 2010, http://www.artfairinsiders.com/profiles/blogs/riverfront-art-festiv..., for what it's worth. The vouchers was one hell of a good idea. I think giving it another shot, if they run it, might be worthwhile.

As an aside on the crap weather, here's some things I've done. I use some poles and create a small ante-room behind the booth using a doorway to the back. My back side flap becomes the roof, and a couple of extra side tarps become the walls. Clamps and bungees secure it snugly. The space heater is more effective with the semi-closed in area compared to the open booth and you don't freeze your rear end off.

If it's really nasty and drizzly, I use a couple of commercial quality heavy clear shower curtains that you can get at Walmart for the front of the booth. Zip tie or use shower rod rings to anchor into the frame of the tent, clamp the outside ends to the legs of the booth and there's about a foot of overlap in the middle and it makes it easy to go inside. That holds the heat in and keeps the drizzle or lightly blowing rain out. With a heater going, that makes it comfortable enough that customers will linger longer and improve the chances of a sale :-)

• Those are great ideas!  Thanks!

• Brittany and Robert:

We sincerely appreciate the feedback we’ve received, including your comments above. Over the past few months the Riverfront Arts Festival staff has taken the feedback from last year’s artists and is working to create a great show for all those involved in 2012.

A few things you can expect at this year’s show:

1. ArtBucks is returning! ArtBucks is part of our initiative to get handmade, quality art in the hands of college students and turn them into life-long art lovers and consumers. Through this initiative $10,000 is given out to college students in the central Ohio area to buy art on Friday night of the festival. Last year, the first year instituting this program, more than 97% of the ArtBucks were redeemed.
            2. There will be two nights of WaterFire featuring national music acts. WaterFire Columbus is becoming one of the most exciting art exhibits in Central Ohio. The magnificent array of bonfires was first established on the three rivers of downtown Providence, Rhode Island in 1997. In downtown Columbus the flames reflect on the waters of the Scioto River, which will act as a backdrop for the arts festival.
            3. This year we will have more than $250,000 in media support, doubled from last year, from our radio, television and print partners at our disposal, which will be utilized to drive traffic to the festival.

Yes, the weather was a huge let down at last year’s show for everyone involved. With these substantial additions and other changes to the show, we’re expecting a livelier atmosphere and a greater turnout. I hope you and other previous participants will come back and gain a new outlook on the Riverfront Arts Festival. 

• I'll go ahead and reapply this year. It sounds like you're doing some good things there.

• Thanks Amanda for your response!  I'm really excited to hear that the art bucks program will be back!  That was such an awesome idea and I havent seen that anywhere else!  So big kudos for bringing it back.

Yep, the weather was definitely a killer.  Definitely can't blame you for that though or blame the patrons for not wanting to brave it!  Sometimes ya just get unlucky.  But hopefully that will not be the case this year and hopefully I'll be able to participate with you again. 

I put in my application in Zapp Sunday :).  Thanks again for your response.  I'm looking forward to Sept 28-30.

• So, Britt are you doing the show?

• If you are local to the Columbus area then give it a shot.  If you have to pay for a lot of gas and hotels, then I would probably stay away.  The other thing to think about is the art bucks they give to students.  College kids each get $100 art bucks to spend with everyone.  From what I saw last year, they like to make that go as far as they can, so they buy prints or small jewelry, etc.  If you have a low pricepoint item college kids would like, you can do very well with the art bucks, even if you have a bust weekend otherwise.

Last year I didnt have that.  This year I do, so I'm hoping for a better year this time around.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks Britt... I will have to drive and stay somewhere, but am really just wanting to extend my season too since I dont have anything lined up for winter. Perhaps I will give it a try at least once and if nothing else I will find you to commiserate if it is a bust ;)! 

This reply was deleted.