I'm in the midst of summer art show applications/acceptances/rejections (as we all are), and my potential April-September calendar is in constant motion. I usually do a number of my "regular" shows, ones I can count on for the most part-as long as my work remains challenging and attractive to the art juries. I also apply to a handful of new-to-me shows each year.

A new acceptance: the Wells Street Art Fair. It's the same weekend, and close to, Old Town Art Fair (which is a serious goal of mine, to get into that one!)- it's only a few streets away. Hours are LATE for me (10pm but can pack up by 8 ish, possibly a 9pm end on Sunday?) and set up/break down seems not wonderful, particularly with a late night finish - as I'm usually doing it solo. But, it was recommend by a fellow artist from the One of a Kind Show in December, and I tend to do well with Chicago-based fine ART shows. I should mention, I'm local, so it's like 30 minutes from my house if parking isn't terrible.

BUT - from searches, the reputation in past years is that it's a party/beer fest? And I do NOT do so well with those; I'm a jeweler and more drink fest = more potential theft, as well as drunken people preferring to buy under-$20 mass produced stuff and therefore not buying my work (which isn't high end but is worth more than $20). So can be a lot of hours of lousy show.

I've heard from a # of artists completely opposing views - it's awful, or it's great for numbers of people as well as buyers.

Anyone here done the show in the last 5 years? The people I've spoken to who like the show say that the atmosphere has changed and it's not a drunken bacchanalia anymore. I just don't know if I buy it. Also, wondering if people who attend Old Town cross over to the Wells St. one too? Any advice/review would be so welcome - most posts I've seen here and at artfairreviews seem to be from at least pre-2017 or so...thanks!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What state is the Well festival in? Can't why that anywhere here

thanks

• It's in Chicago, IL.

• I've done the show the last two years. It's a mostly younger crowd and I do well with that crowd. And I often do well in party atmospheres. Most artists pack up by dark on Saturday, 8 or 8:30?, and the show is ok with that. Other entertainment remains open. I sell mostly print reproductions of my paintings, but occasionally I sell a big piece there, but I sell enough small stuff I don't have to rely on the big sale. Set up is at 6 or 6:30 and cars line up around the block waiting to get in one at a time. It requires some patience. I don't remember ever seeing booth sitters.

I'm on the waitlist, btw. I don't want to tell you what to do because my opinion is biased. I want to be there. It's a good show for me but it's not for everyone.

• Thanks Dan - I decided to go ahead and try it out. Seems like the crowd could be good for me as well; my only hope is that there will be a booth sitter situation, as I do the shows solo. Thanks for the heads up! If I confirm there's no sitters, at least I can make a plan. I've done early am set ups and they are doable, but not my favorite; not a deal breaker. Glad artists can break down by 8; staying open until 10 is way too long for me!

I hope you get called in off the waitlist!

• I got the invite, I'm in. Hope you do well!

This reply was deleted.