Hello!

I wanted to stop in and introduce myself..

My name is Becky Crane, and I live near Cleveland, Ohio.  I am a papercutting artist and a woodcarver.  I have been doing mostly local fine art shows for a couple years, and a mixed bag of local art and craft shows before that.

I am trying to connect more with the artist community ot there because I am trying to branch out and apply to better shows and shows further away from home, so I want to tap into the community's wisdom and experience so  can figure out the best way to do things without making all the mistakes myself first!  :)

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Becky, Welcome to Art Fair Insiders. You have found a wonderful site here that is full in information and lots of new friends willing to help. I really enjoyed viewing your work. Papercutting is fun and you show that in your work. Hope you have a great week.

Sabrina
    • Sabrina- Thanks for the welcome, and the compliments!! -b
  • Hi Becky,
    Welcome to this site - good to have you here. I have found a wealth of information here. I am from Pittsburgh and create jewelry. I do some shows in the Cleveland area. Do you do any shows with Cleveland Handmade? This year I am doing Last Minute Market for Cleveland Handmade in Lakewood, OH and Odd Mall in Hudson, Ohio.
    • Hi Diane, thanks for the welcome!
      I haven't done any of their shows as yet- the ones that I have seen listed didn't seem like places where 2-D non-functional work would sell well, though I certainly have been wrong before! :) Have you done shows with that group before? Anywhere else in Cleveland that you have shown?

-b
      • That may be true as most of the artists are 3D. I create jewelry - metal work and beadwoven pieces. This fall I will do Odd Mall in Hudson in November and the Last Minute Market (Cleveland Handmade) in December. I applied to Bazaar Bizaar Cleveland but was not accepted. I also do Art is Alive at the Canton Art Musuem in April and they do have equal amount 2D & 3D. Canton Art Museum has a couple other shows - Artissimo which is this weekend I think and a Christmas Show. I also want to apply to a couple of art shows in your area for next summer - Chardon, Willougby, and Lakewood. I did not apply last year but the shows that I did last summer in Western Pa were not that great so I am looking at different ones.
        • I do the Christkindl November show at the Canton museum. I wanted to do the spring show this year, but I didn't find out about it till after the deadline had passed..
          I have heard good things about the Lakewood show in past years.. they keep rejecting me though, so no personal experience to relate.. ;)
          Chagrin Art by the Falls, Cain Park, Boston Mills are also supposed to be good ones, don't know how they are for jewelry in general though. I usually do The Guild's shows in Westlake, spring and fall..
  • Hello Becky and welcome. This is a great site to find the information and help that you are looking for. There are forums here where you can ask specific questions to find the answers that you need.
    Papercutting seems like an interesting art. Do you find very many people doing that kind of art? Good luck with your work and welcome to this great site.

Jacki B
    • Thanks for the welome Jacki!
      There are a few people doing original papercutting in the art show world that I have seen, but I think it is still more associated with the craft end of things- where people cut primarily traditional patterns and get their ideas from books. It is fun doing an uncommon medium, but it can make it harder to get into shows in the first place, and then to sell until people 'get' what it is that I am actually doing! :)

-Becky
This reply was deleted.