Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

After reading as much as I could find here on the subject, I set up my new canopy and panels and took my first booth shot. I would appreciate any feedback I can get, as I am about to set up my ZAPP account and begin apply for shows.

Did I crop too much? Does my tent look small? I do have a Pro Panel desk, but I didn't include it because it always just looked like it was in the way. Is it a mistake to leave it out?

Also, I did read that if I use a photo bin I should include it in the booth shot. Well, I WILL use a Pro Panel bin - but I'm out of capital and I don't have it yet. But I need to start applying to shows. Should I try to Photoshop it in - or should I just leave the image alone?

Thanks!

Views: 1862

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Canvas wraps are frowned upon by painters and because they think the public gets confused and will purchase an inexpensive photograph instead of an original painting.

Giclee is a much misused term. It's not that they don't allow Giclees, but don't want Giclees (ink jet prints) printed on canvas. Some photographers print on canvas and some on paper and display under glass. Both are Giclees.

Make sure you read the show prospectus carefully to make sure there is nothing in the wording that will cause you to waste your jury fee.

Jim left out the f:

http://lfoa.mam.org/

Larry Berman
http://BermanGraphics.com
412-401-8100

Sorry about the malformed URL -- I was typing on my iPad which makes numerous mistakes. (It's not me at all).

There are a lot of photographers selling canvas wraps. It's not a new phenomenon, but it is new to many patrons, who comment on how much they look like paintings. As Larry says, the term "giclee" is misused by many to refer to photographs or reproductions of originals printed on canvas, when really "giclee" means any inkjet print. Some shows say "giclee" when they really mean "canvas wraps". Whatever.

They are starting to have a cheap connotation at many shows, since they are less expensive to produce than a comparable matted and framed piece. There are several photographers on the circuit that can sell a large canvas wrap for less than you can purchase it from a supplier, and as a consequence, the public expects them to be inexpensive. This makes it tough if your price point is high. Expect to do some bargaining.

Metal prints are still unique to many venues. You will find that offering several styles of framing -- matted, framed, canvas, metal -- in one booth, may give patrons too many choices. It's usually much better to stick to one or two consistent styles of presentation, as it tends to look more professional, and makes it easier for the customer to choose something.

I know many people love their iPads, but I hate mine for that very reason - it makes so many mistakes! ;)

You have all answered my questions very well once again. Many thanks.

I guess it's time for me to just jump in with both feet and start learning by trial and error. I think I've avoided as many pitfalls as I can for the time being. It will definitely be a work, and learning experience, in progress.

RSS

15% Off All Orders! We are offering 15% off every order now through May 1st, with our best wishes for a swift economic recovery for all!

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service