Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Winter Park just canceled. As the info comes in about refunding booth fees, I will post that when I know it. Or, someone else can if they get the word before I do.

Views: 13017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was supposed to be at Vintage Market Days of Southeast Louisiana this weekend.  It's a 3 day show in Amite, LA.  However I had to cancel due to my dad being ill and close to death.  He eventually passed on March 4, after I had cancelled.  VMD of SELA announced earlier today they have to shut down at the end of the day, which was 5:00 local time.  They are trying to work out refunds or transferring fees to the fall show, which was already booked. I am not sure if anyone here attends this show besides me.

Edited to add ... I think the refunds/transfers at the present moment are for those who had bought tickets for the event to attend as patrons.  I am sure the exhibitors will be addressed in the coming days.

VMD Southeast Louisiana Facebook page

Another sad email in my inbox today from Patty Narozny:

Dear Friend of Hot Works Naples Fine Art Show,

We have made the difficult decision to postpone Hot Works 3rd Naples Fine Art Show, originally scheduled for March 28 & 29 at the Naples Italian-American Club. I’m very sorry for any inconvenience, we did our best to keep the show, but this is beyond everyone’s control.

Event postcards for the show were mailed this past Monday; please ignore the date. We hope to reschedule but must wait and see what happens in the next two-three weeks.

There is an option for rescheduling this show on April 11 & 12, which is Easter weekend but only if the Governor deems it safe again for public events. Otherwise, the show will be rescheduled at another time and will let you know at that time.

Please feel free to check in with any questions. Stay safe!

Patty Narozny

Executive Producer, Naples Fine Art Show

President, Institute for the Arts & Education, Inc.

www.hotworks.org

www.facebook.com/hotworksartshows

and this from Howard Rose at Rose Squared Productions:

To our Rose Squared family:
There is no question these are very stressful times for all of us. 

To ease your stress about your booth fees for Rose Squared Shows, be assured, if the Essex County Department of Parks cancels any of the 2020 shows, we will return 100% of your fees. Yes, that is a big hit for us financially but you will be losing the show's income. Taking a hit for the fees as well is not something we feel is ethical or fair for you to have to endure.

For those who have taken the option of charging fees, we will not be putting through the April 1st charge for now until we hear further from the county closer to the May show. We will also hold off depositing the April 1st balance checks as well. We will keep you updated as we hear from the County.

We hope you all stay safe and healthy. 

Janet and Howard Rose
Rose Squared Productions, Inc.

Santa Fe College Spring Festival in Gainesville canceled and is mailing refunds in the next 30 days.

Very nice to get an email from Valley Art Center, here in the Cleveland OH area concerning their June Art By The Falls Show. I'm posting here as they present a good example:

No, not cancelling the show, but letting us all know that IF the show is cancelled, we will get a full refund. 

The Old Florida Celebration of the Arts  4/4 - 4/5 has been cancelled.  Bev Ringenberg, one of the event Coordinators, contacted us to trying to get the word out.

New Orleans Jazz Fest is looking to postpone to the Fall - click here to read the latest info posted today:

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_19812a68-654a-11ea-bc...

I believe every show should adopt this policy. From Boston Mills:

From Boston Mills Arts Fest
COVID-19 REFUND POLICY
The Boston Mills Artfest take the safety and wellbeing of our artists, staff, volunteers, and guests seriously. Mindful of the concerns surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are committed to being responsive, heeding guidance on preventative measures from the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as state and county guidelines.
We do not have any plans to cancel the event at this time; if it does come to this, then our refund policy on booth fees will be as follows:
Option 1- Artist booth fee will be refunded in full if the show is cancelled because of the coronavirus.
Option 2- Artists who have paid their booth fee are prepaid and jury exempt for the 2021 Artfest if the show is cancelled because of the coronavirus.
All of our original payment and refund policies remain the same.
If you were in a recently cancelled Florida (March) art show and need additional time to pay your booth fee e-mail Libby, and she will have George contact you for late payment arrangements.

just in...postponed the American Craft Show in St. Paul to Friday – Sunday, October 9 – 11, 2020 (originally scheduled for April 17 – 19). The St. Paul Preview Party will take place on Thursday, October 8. 

Thanks, Mary. September and October are going to present so many opportunities for artists -- and hard decisions also. Hope everyone cn make it until then!

This is from the Guild about their shows including Ann Arbor:
March 16, 2020
Dear Artists,
I am emailing today to update you all regarding the Guild’s policies for our events amidst the Covid-19 virus. We are monitoring this situation closely, and keeping up with information as it becomes available. While we do have to cancel our first show of the season the Royal Oak Market: Spring Art Fair, we are moving forward with plans for the following events in the hopes that we see this pandemic begin to diminish.
Royal Oak Market: Spring Art Fair – April 2&3 – This show is officially cancelled. Any participating artists who have paid their booth fee will receive a full refund of that booth fee. We will be attempting to push out a virtual art fair to our event followers that will allow them to still find our participating artists.
Art Birmingham – May 9 & 10 – Currently, this show is NOT cancelled. We will not be making a decision about this show until mid-April. Our first course of action would be to try and postpone the show rather than cancel it, but IF the show does get cancelled, we will give a full refund of any booth fees paid to date. Again, this show is currently NOT cancelled OR postponed. We are planning to go forward at this time until we hear otherwise. Once we do, we will notify you.
Ann Arbor Summer Art Fair – July 16-19 – This show is currently going on as scheduled. However, should the show get cancelled due to the Covid-19 virus, we will be refunding in full any booth fees that have been paid. Again, this show is currently going forward as scheduled, but should there be a need to cancel you will get a full refund. This show is currently NOT cancelled.
Booth Fees – We know that a lot of shows have been cancelled and that this may be a trying time for you, our artists. If paying your booth fee for any of our shows by the show deadline provides to be a hardship, please contact me to make special payment arrangements. You can email me at karen@theguild.org. We are here for you.

Thanks for this Barry. So many artists are involved in The Guild's shows this is very helpful. In addition it is so encouraging to read, not only from this event producer but from so many of the events, their understanding and empathy for the delicate position artists, and so many self-employed people, find themselves in. 

An idea:

Just thought I would throw this idea out there, for discussion: I think there is a way to maintain 'social distancing' at an art fair:

Conduct the art fair as a group of "time limited" tours. That is, sell, or reserve, time slots, for a group of say, 6 people, to walk through the festival at specific time intervals, with a guide, so that no 'crowd' of over 10 gathers at any one place. I have seen time slots used in museum shows (the recent Monet show in Denver, for example). Advantages: keeps show going; security; keeps out looky lous; disadvantages; more logistics; makes artists feel as if they are part of performance art

Comments? particularly from show directors, is this feasible?

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service