Jay and I came into this biz 'late in life.' We do know about shlepping and conferences having created and developed educational products for special needs and mainstream children and adults.

I always write to promoters about accessibility.  Jay uses a wheelchair outside of the house -- I have some physical limitations because of my friends living in me - the 'itises' - arthritis, bursitis, and tendinitis -- who love to 'party' within me when I push or go over my limitations -- or just because of the nature of the biz (but don’t mention me – don’t want to overfreak anyone out).   If anyone watches us put up/take down – they immediately see what Jay can do when up on crutches and in a wheelchair.  Nothing can stop him!  And I do my very best to preserve my artificial hip and take care of the ‘itises.’ 

Last year I wrote to Chester NJ.  They said they were on a field (grass) and that they wouldn't be very accessible.

Deborah, Our show is on a grass field.  While it is mostly flat there are divots that can make maneuvering a wheel chair tricky.  We have had customers come in wheelchairs through out the years and they have managed.  Our Fall Show does offer a lower priced street option which would have you placed on pavement.  My concern for you with this type of space is that it is located far from the main craft show field and does not get the same type of foot traffic.  Given how far you would be travelling, it would not be worth your while. The only toilets are port a pottys – we do have a few that are handicapped accessible. …   I will mention that Jewelry is our most heavily applied for category and is very competitive because we have so many returning artists and very few available spaces.

I hope that helps…I don’t feel like this was the most positive message, but I do want to be honest with you.

Regards,

Sara Burnet

This year I wrote to Mt. Gretna  PA.  This is the note I received:

Deborah,   Thanks for your interest in the show.  Unfortunately, because the show is completely outdoors in the middle of a field, I cannot say that it is particularly wheelchair friendly.  We have no handicapped lavatory facilities on site either.  While the show has been successful as an annual event, I honestly feel that the site would prove to be rather difficult for you .                                       Sincerely, Gene Otto (coordinator)

While I appreciate each of these folks’ honesty, I cannot believe that in the year 2013 we are asking these questions and getting these kinds of answers.  A town doing an art show and doesn’t provide accessible porta-potties and claims there get crowds ?  Not one person in these numbers has any kind of mobility issues?  We HAVE been to shows that claim accessibility – but , for example, put a sponsor tent over the curbcut and the only other curbcut was cut off when the gate to the park remained opened.  That show we were totally discriminated against – Jay was touched by the promoter after he repeatedly said, ‘don’t touch me’ and we were told to close down two hours early because they couldn’t guarantee they could get Jay to the parking lot by golf cart if we waited until the show was over. 

But promoters should realize that if a venue is NOT accessible for the artists, then it’s NOT accessible to those with mobility issues and/or vision issues and/or many other issues.  We are living in an aging population – the boomers are not as young as they used to be.   And yet – accommodations are not even thought about.

I must end by saying that in our two years of doing art shows, we have worked with promoters who are sensitive and considerate and go out of their way to make sure that Jay and I can be artists at their shows.  They have thought about where to place us – where it is more level, near bathrooms and checked on us to make sure that we are doing ok.   We so appreciate these promoters – and know that the same care and kindness showed to us is also reflected in their shows. 

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First-Gene Otto is a local doctor that owns and operates the CRAFT SHOW--which is NOT the Mt. Gretna Outdoor Art Festival (MGOAF). The Pennsylvania Chautauqua runs the MGOAF.

Second, good luck with getting the Chautauqua to think that their tax-exempt status imposes any duties on them. Their attorney is Keith Kilgore, and their Board President is John Feather--also an attorney. Linda Bell--the MGOAF director answers to the Board of Managers, if she answers to anyone at all (sometimes I wonder...she is the borough's financial secretary, the Chautauqua's financial secretary, and the art show's financial operator and they let her husband be the treasurer of all these things and let her write her own checks from the Chautauqua accounts and "transfer" that money to the borough to be added to her borough pay check. To top it all off, the borough and the chautauqua are exactly the same 87 acre area.) Let me know how it goes.

I am curious as to how to find out, when comparing festivals to apply for, the actual attendance averages...any tips?

• Perhaps this is my paranoia speaking, but my gut feeling  is that once Deborah and I register a complaint, our chances of getting into many shows vanish (given equal jury scores and limited slots, the person who has NOT made waves gets the space)   On the other hand, a wake-up call may improve things for people with disabilities (artists & attendees) in the future.

After reading Larry's post, I  took a short look at the Mt.Gretna website.  One look at the site map tells me that the real message in their response is "too much trouble to even think about it, just go away"

NOT HAPPENING!

A quick look at the Chautauqua Resident Handbook shows that the Mount Gretna Borough, the Mount Gretna Authority and the Pennsylvania Chautauqua itself are governmental entities, and/or benefit from varied government funds, and that the PA Chautauqua provides public accommodations.   The ADA applies, Title V of the Rehabilitation Act most likely applies, and while I am not versed in how varied nondiscrimination rules apply to non-profit's tax status, their 501(c3) status could be questioned- is public policy served by granting tax exempt status to an organization that cannot be bothered to rent accessible porta-potties?   

Perhaps a few emails to state agencies and media outlets may be helpful...

• I am not 100%, but am fairly sure that all shows held here downunder have to have wheelchair access.    They seem very careful down here that no one is disadvantaged by access.   There are still shows held on grass and so forth, but they short duration - 1/2 day or so.   If there was a show on the street the curb cut out would by no means be allowed to be covered up.   

• More than half the spaces at Mt Gretna are on the street, and you can ask for that either when applying or contacting them afterwards. I was only on the grass once and would never do it again unless I was on the street. So each time I apply I tell them I have a bad knee and can't easily walk over the grassy area which is covered with tree roots and such.

They've always accommodated my request.

Larry Berman

• Deborah, you are exactly right, this should not be happening in 2013.  I don't care if a show is in the middle of a swamp, they can put down sheets of cheap plywood to create a path for a wheelchair and they should be required to.  Not having handicapped accessible porta-potties is absolutely shameful and should be illegal.  It probably is in some states I would hope.  There is no excuse for a show to be unaccessible to a handicapped person, none, period.  Make the accommodations, whatever they may be.  Make a path for a wheelchair, locate handicapped accessible porta-potties, locate the handicapped artist's booth near the street, do whatever is necessary.  There is simply no excuse!!!   

• IT IS ILLEGAL!!  They either don't know it or they ignore it!  But ADA has been in existence 20+ years -- and that FEDERAL law is supposed to have alleviated these kinds of situations.

• You should probably contact ADA and discuss this with them.  I am sure once they get involved all the accommodations needed will magicly happen overnight.  Things seem to work that way when a little heat is applied where necessary.  I hope it works out for you and your husband.

• Amen!  My husband has two artificial hips and he gets around pretty well now but those first couple years after his operations he couldn't walk long distances and it amazed me how many shows did not even have handicapped parking.  The worst one was Lake Mary where they made him park in the regular parking lot with a shuttle bus.  The shuttle bus wasn't handicap friendly at all and he couldn't get on and they refused to give him a ride in one of the golf carts that were whizzing every which way because "they only took people in wheelchairs or on crutches".

This reply was deleted.