I have reviewed this small one-day show for the last three years. The nuts and bolts for the show can be found there.  This was the fourth year for the show put on by my church, UCC Parker Hilltop. It is an all-volunteer event. A goal has been to move the show toward higher quality artists and patrons, and this is being accomplished by attracting artists within about 1 hour of Parker, CO. This encompasses the south Denver metro area to Colorado Springs, and Douglas, Elbert, Jefferson and El Paso Counties. I don’t do this show as a moneymaker, but sales over the last four years have ranged from $150 to $700. This year’s sales were a little less than $500, and we spent all of it on art from other artists.   

The weather was miserable. It started snowing Thursday night and by Friday there was at least 6” on the grass, but the roads remained clear. Saturday during the show, it snowed continuously. The storm did not move out until Sunday evening, leaving heavy wet snow weighing down the trees.

I estimate that about 500 attended the show and many were buyers.  During the art fair there are performances by youth and adult music and dance groups. Across the road at the historic school house, there is a youth art show. All of these functions draw out the parents of the kids. An important observation I made this year was that these parents appreciate the arts or they would not have their kids participating in these groups. Likewise, they are buyers of art.

The school house sold lunches, church ladies sold cookies, there was a silent auction (art work to Bronco’s and Rockies tickets), and door prize drawings hourly. The Boy Scouts came in for clean up and they helped artists load out. That was a big help as it was cold and wet sleety snow was coming down.

I had fun, we bought gifts for family and I got my original of the owls.

Photos: 1. Jean spending money, 2. The shaved ice guy outside - brave soul, 3. one of the youth choirs, 4. My owls, acrylic on canvass.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh my goodness, that snow would have put me over the edge.  Were your booths inside or outside?  Who wants shaved ice when you can eat all the snow you want?  lol

Love the owls.  They look pretty cool.  Are you keeping them or is it for a gift?

• There were some outside booths, but they were moved inside to the Narthex. I think there was one cancellation of an outside booth and the coffee truck took a pass. I am keeping the owls. I really enjoy looking up at the owls from my computer in the evening. It's like the are always curious about what I am doing. The owl artist was a booth moved inside. I am glad she stayed, and I think she was too.
  • Thanks for posting this. We are based in Denver, but never heard of the show.

How does one get on the mailing list?

• Follow up: This little show raised about $1000 from the silent auction and another $1000 from booth rental and cookie sales. The monies are divided equally between the church's general fund and a therapeutic horse ranch for the disabled in Franktown.  I think we are on track for successful shows for both artists and management.

This reply was deleted.