White vs Black Canopies?

Greetings artists...I am currently in preparation for the Summer Art Festival season. I am thinking of changing up my canopy from traditional white to black.  Just wondering if any of you have opinions on the matter...I expect to upgrade my lighting if I go black...I am near Seattle Wa...and all of my shows are west coast..

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• White is the industry standard. We like the light given off and it would darken everything significantly. Stick with white

• Your booth temperature will go up alot. Many shows will not allow a black canopy. Having a black canopy creates a visual effect of a 'cave' for people, many people will not go in, expect your booth attendance tgo drop by 70%.

• Most shows require canopies to be white.  I don't know of any high-end juried shows who would allow a black canopy.

• Light is always important for viewing art. If you purchase black you are going to be a limited access to electricity, which may not be available at some of your events. But maybe you'll be having a battery system. Black would certainly be a dramatic change, and depending on your media maybe show it off really well. My husband was a photographer and when we were shopping for canopies he would carry a light meter And two different branded canopies, looking for the ones that would put the best light on his photographs.

• Thank you Connie, That is exactly what I am looking for...a more dramatic look to me space...and, with lighting, which I will be ungrading with a portable power station I hope my workd will stand out...I am a printmaker specializing in woodcut and linoleum printing which have a black illustrative element...Not to mention my whole schtick revolves around black...and contrast.11037461472?profile=RESIZE_584x

•  Black will absorb more heat and make your day pretty hot. Whit is cooler and required by some shows.

• Thanks Richard, yes, I have heard that about black canopies.  my intent is to have mesh sidewalls to allow for some air circulation...and, power station for lighting...I have not heard about a white requirement...however, I think I will ask...

This reply was deleted.