I'm excited. I'm heading out on Friday to Kentucky! This is the weekend of the St. James Court Art Show in Louisville, a very big show with nearly 750 artists and I know lots of our members will be there too.

In addition to the weekend's show on Monday and Tuesday ZAPPlication.org is hosting an Arts Festival Conference in downtown Louisville at the Seelbach Hotel that I'll be attending. It will be 4 days of meeting old friends and learning even more about the art fair business.

Will you be at St. James? Please let me know in the comments below so we can meet. I'll be there late on Saturday and all day Sunday. Since the conference is going on many of the nation's show directors will be in town also and attending the show. This may be your chance to meet some of them, so be on the alert. They love to meet new artists and see new work, as they are always on the lookout for exciting additions to their events.

It is a great weekend for shows around the country. So tell us -- what's up with you this weekend?

P.S. I'll be announcing the winners of our Best Art Fairs in America survey on Monday night at the conference.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Replies

• Heading home after getting rained out at St. James. Water was running in the curb up to the sidewalk and had water 7 feet out into the booth. The east side of 4th Street had water about three feet into the street past the fronts of the booths. The organizers came around about 3:00 and said pack up and leave as even heavier rain and high winds were expected on Sunday. The show was a total friggin' dud as I sold one $20 piece for the entire show, good weather and bad. I'm not going back, ever. After trying for four years I'm pulling the plug on this one. I heard the same story from another 4-5 artists, one of which was stopped in front of my booth in traffic during tear down. It kind of explains why the local news was touting all the new artists at the show.
  • NOTHING!!!!  :::thud:::

• Woke up Friday to big white flakes of snow falling here south of Denver at 7000'. Pretty on the pumpkins. Have to go to Denver for dental check up then home to studio to work on the three saddles I thought I could finish by end of August. Summer show special orders are done except for one returned for redo by a picky client (her costs just doubled if I see her next year). Follow up orders for belts, dog collars etc. continue to come in from summer shows.
  • Carol and I will be at St James Court at booth SJ 144. Hope to get to meet you.

• I hope to meet you also, Greg. You must be set up by now. Right? I believe that is the space we used to have at St. James. Is it in front of one of the big houses on the lawn side of the street? 

I was only going to go to St. James, really not enough time to see everything, but now I'm getting emails from my friends for the other areas of the show also. Hope your sales are good.

• Connie...I posted that we were at SJ 144 and that is incorrect...it is SJ 444. We are all set up and SJ444 is near the fountain on the grassy center area facing the center aisle.

• Gatlinburg Fine Arts Festival. Gatlinburg, Tennessee. This show benefits the Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts. We are very impressed with the organizers and volunteers. There was a small army ready to help us unload, which was finished in about five minutes. The festival opens tomorrow morning and lasts through Sunday. We are hopeful that the Smokies closing will not keep too many people away. We took the plunge and bought a 25 foot travel trailer which is currently parked near a beautiful mountain stream. We are excited too be back in the game.
    This is our first selling event since June. Sherry has been doing plain air events and workshops so there is new work on the wall. We will be making up for lost time with events every weekend in October spread across three states.
    • I wondered where you'd gone, John. You made so many good contributions earlier in the year. I hope your fall will be good.

In Gatlinburg as well as where Alison Thomas will be this weekend you will be on the leading edge of the government shutdown. Guess I haven't been paying good enough attention, but really they have shut down the parks? You can't go in and hike or camp?

• You are right Connie, the park is shut down. No hiking or camping. We are in a private campground adjoining the park. There were plenty of people in Gatlinburg today. Here is hoping this holds for the weekend. We will provide a show report next week
  • St. James. Booth794 (I think!) on Fourth Street.
This reply was deleted.