Tent Help

I just did my first art show this weekend using a new King Canopy Goliath art tent. The tent frame, I thought, was very good and sturdy, but the top and walls turned out to be horrible. With only a slight drizzle of rain, anywhere there was a seam water was leaking in. I called King Canopy in hopes they had a better top than the one that comes with the tent, which is made of a polyester material, but they were of no help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to fix the problem, or if there is a company that makes a waterproof vinyl top and walls that will fit this tent?  

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• During Art exhibition event, i had to rent a tent and with NordVPN 3 year plan i was able to get access to tent rentals service for events.

NordVPN 3 Year Deal 2022 – Get Upto 68% Off Discount Deal
    Get 68% off on NordVPN 3 year deal & access the all geo-restricted streaming sites with its secured feature by using NordVPN three year plan.
  • Hi AmyRenee,

The metal structure of the Goliath is very good and sturdy, but because of the terrible canvas top and walls I can not recommend it. The canvas is not much thicker than that of a camping tent. The main problem is that the top is sewn along the the perimeter where the tent top folds down. This leaves a seam right at the edge when the water rolls off the top of the tent. Basically I have water dripping down along the whole perimeter of my walls (on top of my prints!) because of this seam. I am seam sealed the top and used rip-stop tape used for sailboats and this has temporarily stopped the leaks but I'm not sure for how long.

Looking at the EZ-UP tents tops I noticed that there is no seam between the top of the tent and where it folds down. This simple design would have saved me a lot of headaches with this tent. I would recommend just going with the tried and tested tents like the Trimlines. 

• Thank you for your feedback. Where did you purchase it from? I have notice different sites have more information about the actual make up of the canopies. On two sites, it states that the top and side walls are 500 denier with a PVC coating on the inside and states 'waterproof'. On other sites it is not stated at all. So my question is: Did you get the one with the PCV coating walls and top? And what website did you buy from?

thanks!!

AmyRenee

• I purchased it through Sam's Club. I have the 500 denier PVC top and side walls that the company states is "waterproof." After speaking to the company about the problems I have with it they went on to tell me that the top is, in fact, not waterproof. This is just my opinion, but if you end up getting this tent you will find yourself having to buy a better top and side walls for it. For the price of all that you can buy one of the tried and tested art fair tents.

• Thank you for the information!!!!!!!  I was going to go with the King but no more!! It bugs me that it states 'waterproof' and it is not! That is false advertising!! 

Good luck in your shows!! 

• I have doing my research on all of these tents with a paper trail to prove it!! I am down to the King Canopy Goliath and an Undercover Commercial tent.  

With your tent, what was the denier rate of the fabric? And was it coated with PVC on the inside of the fabric? I ask since that is what they state on the website. With the water problem that you had, I have to ask. 

thanks!!!!!!!! 

• Was the question for someone further upstream or to me? I have the address for the guy doing the John Mee canopies and he's doing them now. The address is at my home and it'll be around midnight before I get home, but I can get it to you tomorrow if you're asking. His tops fit all the EZ-Up clones. I've posted his address to someone else recently, so a search for "John Mee"'should find it easily enough.
      • Yes my question was to be for the original questioner! Sorry for misdirection but I read a few of your comments and thinking about the John Mee. I just wish there was a web site to look at the covers! 

• You can find the John Mee canopies at vinyl@thepatchplace.net or call 417-264-7602 and ask for Don. The price is $369 plus shipping. I'd just drop him a line and ask for photos of the tops.

What I can tell you is that they fit pretty much all the EZ-Up clones. The design is a bit different as the side walls have extra room and aren't snug like the EZ-Up tops. That lets you roll up the sides if you want to and there are buckles and straps to secure the sides when rolled up that way. The extra room also lets the top conform around the scissor struts a bit and it creates a drain path so the water never puddles on top like the EZ-Up tops will do. That puddling in the corners is what destroys many of the EZ-Up tents when heavy rains hit. Too many people are sloppy when putting the EZ-Up tops on, and they really have to be snugged up securely after the frame has been extended and locked.

• I was actually looking for a tent. I appreciate the info

This reply was deleted.