I was very excited to do my first Art Fair Laumeier this year. The forecast looked promising but expectations were not met. Here is my breakdown.

Setup/take-down: Very easy, it is in a park so there is plenty of room to drive up and unload without getting congested. And they give you a big window for setup time. Parking is quite a hike away, but it is what it is.

Layout: The layout is good, not really a bad spot anywhere. It is easy for people to walk the fair and see every booth. And is is spread out just enough so it doesn't get crowded when there are lots of people there.

Booth sitters: They have plenty of friendly volunteers that will watch your booth whenever you need it.

Awards: Several awards given with cash prizes, they are given by merit not by category.

Fees: On the higher side but not bad, $450 under a big tent, I think it was $375 or $350 to not be under the big tent.

Type of art: High quality all around, this show draws artists from the entire country. Did not see any buy/sell or crafty tents. They keep the retail/advertising booths separate from the artist area, which is good.

Advertising: They do a good job getting the word out every year.

Crowd: Very good crowd, Sunday was the busiest. However buying energy was not very high. Weather was nice the whole time so that helped. Crowd seemed to lean more suburban and kind of conservative.

Security: Not an issue as far as I know, they secure the park and have guards at night.

Sales: I only did about one third of what I was expecting for this show, and everyone I talked to had very disappointing sales as well. I didn’t talk to anyone that had a good show sales wise. I am sure there were a few, there always are, but it seemed to be the exception. People didn’t seem to be willing to spend for big ticket items, I saw very few large items being bought. I didn’t sell anything over $180.

Conclusion: Although the show was a disappointment I can’t fault the people that put it on. They got the people there and provided a pleasant experience. The only thing I might say is they are the only fair in the area that charges admission, and I don't know if that sapps people’s buying energy a bit or not. Art on the Square Belleville is the weekend after this show and it is just across the river, that also may be a factor for sales. I will definitely do the show again next year because i am local and from everything I know this is usually a much more lucrative show for artists.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just ran across this additional info about Laumeier to add to the archive here:

Laumeier Art Fair turns 25, and welcomes back familiar visitors

• Well, I just got called off the wait list for Belleville so I hope this will redeem things. Maybe some of those people that passed me by will actually buy now, lol.

Annette, I think you are right. I had lots of people take cards and/or ask me if I sold things in town since I was local.

I have to spend the next 24 hours glazing pots for Belleville, bye.

• What I found in time is that this show is very hard to get in. You will think that you will have great sales but does not happen. What I found out is the in between show (Brookside and Art on the Square in Belleville). Considering that and the quality of artist for those shows you should not be surprise of the quality of work.  I was rejected this year but accept last year. I will apply to show again next year but is not a show for big tickets items or heavy stuff to carry since the parking is so far away.

• Thanks for the review Gregg.   I think shows on subsequent weekends can drain people's spending as they may wait to see if there is something "better" at the following one.  So unless they really love it, they put it off and either accept the disappointment or follow up someone from the previous show if there isn't something they want more at the next one.

• Thanks, Gregg. It is a lovely park for an art fair. Too bad your sales weren't better.

This show has had a report just about every year. You might put "Laumeier" in the search box and get even more details.

Here are some more details: http://kirkwood.patch.com/articles/photos-laumeier-art-fair-draws-c... -- this one has some photos and says there were 14,000 people there

This reply was deleted.