Replies

• Does anyone know when the application for this show comes up.  I can't imagine it being closed already as it is so far into the fall.

• I believe it has been cancelled, Kale. You might try contacting them directly.

• Hi Sharron,

I participated in this show last year and was totally impressed with the organization and hospitality of the people associated with the Metro Arts Alliance...they are very supportive of the artists.  I had great sales during the show, made many connections for future sales, was contacted by a gallery to display my art, and was invited to apply to other art shows. The quality of the artists showing their work was top-notch and the show was well balanced. I was proud to be included in the show and definitely hope to be accepted again. 

Smiles,

Wendy

• My studio is less than 7 miles from this show,

I won't be there either.

This show is a prime example of what happens when people don't buy art.

• My experience there was less than stellar, and was my worst show in over 20 years. Having said that, it was in 2008, and I would hope they've cleaned up their act since then. Keep in mind this was 4 years in the past.

The organization getting into the building was chaotic and people were kept in line for hours, Only two or three cars were allowed to unload at a time while everyone waited in their cars to pull up to the loading ramps. It was a disaster. Several of us unloaded and carried things to a side trailer loading dock and lifted everything shoulder high to get in, and then carted in through doors and a roundabout path to get to the exhibition hall.

Attendance was terrible, and you could have fired off a shotgun down the aisles and not hit anyone. Most of the artists had plenty of time to wander around and visit all the other artists, and have nice friendly conversations. Pleasant but not very profitable in the cash department.

I was at the rear of the hall along with an aisle of artists. At the end of the aisle, back against the wall, was a gignatic banner than said "childrens's Activities" or some such. It gave the distinct impression that children related artists were back there, and even fewer people went back there. I sold about $40-50, and expenses were over a thousand.

Taking a loss like that didn't leave me a happy camper. The load in and load out was very grueling and stressful, I basically lost my shorts on the show, and then I had a major heart attack a week later. So you can say I don't have a fond place in my heart for that show.

On the positive side, they were a hard working crew and helpful except for organizing the load in well. There were nice amenities for the artists, and the facilities were nice. Since then, they've changed locations from what I've heard which might make a difference. I've not heard anything about attendance since then, so I can't say anything about that.

If you live close and your expenses are low, give it a try. The overall quality of the artists there that year was very impressive, enough that I felt like the last guy admitted. If the attendance issues are resolved, then it should be a good show.

• Is it on two levels? When we did it it was only on one level. Can you get ahold of a list of the people who did it last year?

• Thanks, I will do just that.

• This show has been around for awhile Sharron, this is the 23rd annual! We participated about ten years ago, a couple of times. Well organized, nice building, downtown Des Moines, decently attended and the organizers were working hard on it. If you don't live far, worth the time and money. Did you see this: http://www.artfairinsiders.com/profiles/blogs/call-for-artists-metr...

We had a great time in Des Moines, eating around the downtown and enjoying this very nice city.

• I live about 190 miles.  I'm sure the first floor is prime but what about the second floor.  Could an artist do just as well on the second floor?

This reply was deleted.