Hello, All:

I've been doing shows for a few years, and I need to re-engineer how I get my prints around.

These are large photographs (20x30-20X40) mounted on aluminum.  They aren't metal prints, but you can think of them that way.

Right now I store these in Gallery Pouches (which are great, btw), stored in large totes that you can get from home depot.  I can get around 9-12 prints into each tote.  The problem is that transporting these things on their sides contributes to wear and tear over time.  moreover, getting them into each tote isn't a brainless process, as I have to alternate them and use dividers so there's no risk of two "faces" rubbing against each other.  Finally, the prints are too large for the totes to be stackable, which makes loading the van a pain.

It works, but I could use some fresh ideas here.  There are larger, stackable totes - but these are very expensive, and there still the problem of keeping them safe inside. Ideally, I would have some kind of modular rack system, with each print face up, resting on the rack.  Although I could probably get this built into a custom van, I don't have one yet - just Uhaul!  Plus, I need to store them between shows.  So, in this dream rack system I'm imagining, I could just take them between storage unit and van as needed.  less damage, less time to take in and out, and easier to load.  

I am certain I am reinventing the wheel here, so can someone tell me how they've solved this problem?  Thanks!

Adam

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 32x40x2 empty matboard boxes? Or do what a lot of other photographers do and just use them for display and drop ship the finished piece.

Larry Berman
    https://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• Thanks, Larry.  I'll look into those, although I think I'd still have the problem of "stackability".  As far as using displays, I've thought about it. One problem is that very polished end product is definitely part of what sells the photo, beyond the image itself. Maybe I could print 10-12 truly large "samples" and then point people to the display books, but I'm not sure this would have the same appeal.

You have a lot more experience than I do, but I haven't come across a photograhy booth yet that wasn't filled with the actual prints that were being sold. Not every last one, I'm sure, but most of them.  Thanks for the advice!

Adam

This reply was deleted.