Hi All....I just sent in my 38th application for shows in 2013.  How many are you applying to and have you heard back from any of them yet?  My earliest notification for my show list is Cherry Creek 1/11/13.  How many shows will you apply to in 2013?  I am going to stop at 50.   

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 13 applications. 6 acceptances, 3 wait-lists (got called off of one so far), and 4 rejections (3 were long shots but I had to try :)). So at this point I'm 7/13.

• 21 applications and have made into 8 shows 

• Hello. I am new, never been in a art fair, been to galleries but never art fairs yet, How many art fairs would it take to live on,. I got out of college and so far am only working a par time retail job. Could someone live off of the Art fair's. I understand some would but do most of you.

• Donald, I think art is like any other career -a few exceptional at the top, lots in the middle and those that should think about doing something else. An interesting thread you might read on this site is "what we were before". In my field I see talented people fall by the wayside because, although they developed their artistic skills, the failed to develop their business skills. Likewise, some very average saddlemakers have made it on non-exceptional skills and artistry. From this site I have learned that different approaches are needed for different mediums. Keep the day job and explore the world of being a part time artist until you know it is a lifestyle that will give you what you want: money, independence, happiness, etc. What was your degree in? Mine were BS and PhD in geology (exploration and mining).
      • My degree was a BFA, I had a good idea of what things were in college but the real art world is a bit more harsh. Back then I did not really understand most galleries charge 25$ or more to simply look in consideration of a show. But going to try more Art fair.s rather then galleries. Thanks for the info I think I will re-post my question in another thread.

• And art fairs also charge $ 25 or more to simply look in consideration of a (weekend's) show.

• Donald, some people do make a living just scratching by and some make a very good living with all the places in between filled in with others. There are several threads on this site about "can anyone earn a living at this?" Try the search box to see what you can find. I think there is also an active discussion on this topic in the Painters Group, low on the page right now. Best wishes. Hope you can make your dreams work for you.

• Thanks for the response and I will go to those posts and see. 

• Hi Donald, you should start your own thread instead of posting to a thread that's a few months old.

Larry Berman
      • Good Idea, did not know the thread was that old. 

This reply was deleted.