I will be setting up at a show ( on a sloped street ) that requires 100 lbs of anchoring per leg for my tent.

Any suggestions for how to get this done economically and tastefully would be most welcomed

Thanks,

Bob

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If this is the Kimball Art show in Park City Utah ,,,,,they don't check on the weights.

At least they didn't the year we went ,a few years ago.

We bought canvas bag weights ,I think from Gander Mountain,when we were out there,,,,and were going to fill them with sand,,,,but we never needed to.

It wasn't that windy ,,,our 40 pound weights were fine.

I didn't notice anyone having the 100 lb they were requiring .

• Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Good news - the requirement is now 50 lbs per leg

Bob

• Bob, I weigh in on the side of "this is ridiculous". (I'm imagining everyone with barrels full of water dumping it at the same time at the end of the show.)

Why don't you contact the show and send them the link to this discussion? I really think they may be misinformed. At the Des Moines Arts Festival some years ago they had very heavy winds and rain too, in subsequent years they had a forklift distribute sandbags to all the booths. 

• I agree. having to add another 400 pounds to the already loaded vehicle is a bit much considering most minivans and SUVs have a maximum weight limit of about 1200 to 1500 pounds.

• Yes. We had an E250 large van and we would regularly hit the scales at a way station on the highway to make sure the weight was not ruining the van. 

• Only two reasons a show "requires" that kind of weight.  One is that they are totally misinformed about the amount of weight that is really needed.  Or two, it is really, really, windy there and they are trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility of making the environment safer for the artists.

Most economical way to get a lot of weight (not sure how much) is to get the 5 gallon buckets and fill them with WET sand.  Use ratchet straps not bungees to attach them to the tent.

• This is a ridiculous requirement. There is no way all attending artists will be in compliance. If they enforce this rule they will be forced to eject half the show. Contact the show expressing your concern.

• If you have sta-bars on the bottom of your tent you can make 40 lb weights out of 4" pvc 3' long filled with concrete and put eye bolts on the side of each end. Make 9 of these and hang them from your sta-bars with zip ties. That makes 360 lbs with no space lost inside the tent, then you can hang your other weights (40 lb sand bags) from each leg which then gives you 520 lbs. I can send you pictures if you want,

This reply was deleted.