Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

In art fair circles for years there has been talk about buy/sell and reps showing up with someone else's work. I found this meeting mention in The Orlando Sentinel:

Artists participating in the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival are set to meet Friday evening to discuss forming a commission that would set standards for work displayed at art festivals. The purpose of the commission would be to certify that work in an artist's booth was in fact created by the artist, according to photographer Les Slesnick, who is organizing the gathering. The meeting will happen in the Rotary Beer Garden just south of Morse Boulevard just after the festival closes at 6 p.m.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or have any suggestions we could share with Les?

Views: 29701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone on here actually been invited to the meeting?

Interesting.  I read one application where the jury required an image of the raw materials used in the work to be juried so it sounds like this is not the only place to have this concern but as a former resident of the Orlando area it certainly casts a shadow on what I always thought of as one of the big art events of the area.

David, the panel discussion is at Winter Park.  It is one of the shows where one doesn't have to worry much about fraud or buy/sell.  This is not implicating Winter Park at all.  I don't know this for a fact, but, I think Winter Park was chosen as the site to hold this because the artists at WP are some of the better ones doing the shows and it tends to have a lot of long time art fair artists.

"On Sunday morning, June 11, 1995, a group of approximately twenty-five Old Town Art Fair artists and artisans met informally in the Old Town Triangle Association building to discuss concerns and interests regarding the current state of affairs in the art/craft world. Included in the discussion were such topics as artist safety at shows, the decline of some major shows, establishing new venues in major markets, opening up channels of communication between artists and show committees, the need for artists to have a published vehicle of communication that would be national in scope, and (even) the lack of a nationally accepted standard for jury slides. The result of this was the suggestion that artists and artisans across the country be queried about the possibility of forming a nation-wide independent artists association."

Guess at the time Old Town thought their artists were the better ones.  Look how good that turned out.  Almost 20 years later...the more things change, the more they stay the same huh.

I'm really not advocating one side or the other.  I don't care about the certifications themselves.  To me, that’s all just smoke and mirrors. 

What I do care about is one little man trying to push an industry policy for all without at least attempting to get more than a handful of people’s opinions. 

I don't care how good the Winter Park artists are or think they are or how long they've been around, they are not qualified to make this call.  

I think it would be perfect if NOBODY showed up at this meeting.  Leave him a note that says “Get some other patsies.”  Let him bring his brilliant plan up on any of several large artist forums or to the NAIA, however gutless you think they are, but don’t let him peddle it in a backroom in Florida.  Too much of that crap goes on now.

It would greatly improve your article if it expressed the facts or at least some understaning of them. This is not the first meeting, in fact it is the 5th one so far. I have participated in 3. No back rooms, just an attempt to present a concept and see if the interest is strong enough. Who is the small person here, the one who is at least attempting to do something or the one who is not?

I commend his effort on this since no one else including yourself or me, have even tried. NAIA has sat on its hands and said nothing, most shows don't want the scene it will cause when informed of buy/sell at their show. This offers a legitimate opportunity to start dealing with problem. If you don't like how it is being presented, quit complaining and get involved.

Thanks for the clarification, Barry. 

Becky, I like how you think.  My thoughts exactly.  The sort of non-transparency Les is looking at is non-productive.  If I were there I would be a non- attendee.  It is non-friendly for artists this non-inclusive attitude.

Sort of reminds my of the Party of NO NO NO as the Tea-nee people project themselves.

Bruce,

That attitude is even more non-productive then what you are whinning about. Talk about a limit scope of vision. I do have to ask you one question, are you happy with the proliferation of buy/sell and bait and switch?

Don't like what you perceive is a bad way to present it, become involved and offer constructive ideas. Your other option is to continue being a member of the party of NO. No ideas, No action, Nothing.

I was thinking that this whole certification thing was a bait and switch.  Offer us getting rid of buy-sell, paint anyone who disagrees as being for buy-sell, and slip us a thing that controls the very way we do our business. 

I surely hope not. It is not what I signed on to do.

The question you asked is absurd.  Why on earth  would you consider that I am for b/s and bait/switch.  That reasoning is the old "if you are not with us, you are against us."  We all know how that work for the Tea-Nee People.

I have become involved over the last 30 years and never have offered this sort of disingenuous idea.  I have had some ideas the progress the future of this venue; some good, some not so good but have never seen such absurdity as this.  The prevailing attitude is that while nearly everyone is against B/S, this is the worst possible solution.  To have a proponent actually say that since we do not agree, then we are the problem is beneath any sort of dignified way of doing business. 

Reread your original commentary that I commented about. Non this and non that does not inspire the opinion that you are involved. If you are I misjudged you based on the string you left.  It is not a question of either with us or against us. nothing could be further from the trruth. what I was responding to, was the absence of any alternative suggestions. Les had some reasons for doing it this way as far as waiting until after the meeting. Unfortunately, they weren't very good. It was not the way to handle the start up of an idea. Judge the idea and go from there. If there are issues, help us improve it.  

RSS

Want to sell more online? Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service