I tried to submit my review via the Art Show Reviews page but after filling out the form with all details, I discovered that my show has to be added first before my review can be submitted. Then couldn't figure out how to add the show cause there was no form below so I finally gave up and will give review here. Connie, please feel free to move it.

Name: Sweet Pea Festival of the Arts 

Event Dates: 8/3/19 - 8/5/19 (always the first weekend in August)

Fees: Jury $35, Booth $345

Entrance Fee - $20 daily pass or advance weekend pass $20

Early Setup: Friday based on your assigned time slot

Estimated Attendance: No idea - I'm stuck at my booth so couldn't really gauge

My Medium: Jewelry. Price range: $30-$285

My sales for this show: $2K to $5K (more around 2K)

Years doing shows - 8

This was my first time at Sweet Pea. I had been accepted before but I preferred to do SLAM over this festival. This year I didn't get juried in to SLAM after being in it for the past 2 years. SLAM is only for Montana artists & musicians. Lucky for me, I was chosen for Sweet Pea so I had a chance to try it. My sales were about the same as SLAM. for the 2.5 days versus 2 days of SLAM.  I would do Sweet Pea again since it's basically home, 25 minutes drive. If you have to travel far with much expenses, not sure this show would be worth your time and $. Lodging is expensive in Bozeman in the summer.

Attendance & Sales:

Most of my sales were on Saturday. Sold only couple hundreds on Friday; we might as well not be opened. Saturday crowd was busy and good. Sunday dropped off a lot. I was hoping sales would be close to Sat but alas that didn't happen. A painting artist next to me on my right did really well Sunday. I think people looked on Saturday and came back to purchase on Sunday for her. On my left was another painting artist and she didn't do well at all the whole 3 days. I don't think she covered her expenses.

The organization tried to bring more people in by offering free entrance to the last hour of sale. That didn't seem to bring more people or sales. I'd rather they offer this for the last 2 hrs of the sale and shorten Sunday hrs to 11 - 5.

Amenities:

Volunteers available to show you to your booth space. Sack lunch provided for 2 people per booth on Friday. Booth sitters available but I didn't use them since friends came by to relieve me. 

Good Things about this Art Fair:

1) Great fundraiser for the organization and the money goes back to support other organizations in the community
2) Helpers to show you to your booth location to set up & one lunch provided on set up day
3) I think there's booth sitters available but I used stopped by friends
4) Festival is well known to local, been going on for 20+ years. There are music, food & lots of fun craft activities for kids. My kids and I used to go every year when my children were little and of course we did lots of kids crafts. Fun memories.
5) Not many came Friday evening. Saturday was the best day for attendance and sales for me. Sunday afternoon was pretty slow.

What could this Art Fair have done better?:

1) Bring more attendees on Friday.
2) Shorter hrs on Sunday. Instead of free entrance from 5 to 6, change Sun hrs to 11 to 5 and from 4 to 5 make it free entrance.
3) Consider a reduced rate for people who just want to visit the art booths. If you are not planning to spend 1/2 to full day, it's pricey to visit ($20/day). There's a weekend pass for advance purchase but again if you're a tourist passing by then...
4) Carting my tent and all display items across the park field wore me out even with husband help. And at the end of the day, pulling all my jewelry cases, tool bag and lunch cooler in the dark across the grass field was hard.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Chau.  I take care of the www.Artshowreviews.com page.  We would love to have your review for the Sweet Pea Festival of the Arts to add to our website.  I can add the show to the website for you.  Would you write a review for us then?  The review on our website actually takes way less time to do that this one that you wrote here.  

The reviews would actually help more people if it is added to our Art Show website.  I hope you will write one for us. 

Chau, we only have 3 shows that have been reviewed in Montana.  We really have been trying to build up the reviews for the western side of the country to come close to what we have for the eastern side of the country.  Artists on both sides of the country need this type of information to help make good decisions when putting their show schedules together.

Thanks in advance.

• Chau,  You and I talked at the show.  It was really nice to meet you.  I'm a metal clay artisan alsoI  agree with your assessment of the Sweet Pea.  We have done the show for 5 or so years, and last summer was the best we've ever done, maybe due to our booth spot which was changed last year.  I was surprised because there were so many jewelry artists there, and 3 metal clay artists, all of our work different from each other.

This reply was deleted.