Protective spray for inkjet prints can extend the life of the print by minimizing UV, atmospheric pollution, and moisture. But it's also expensive and time consuming.

How common is it that inkjet prints for sale at art fairs have a protective coating applied?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I used to coat mine when I first started ... but then began using the coated Epson canvas paper and they look just wonderful. Saves me a lot of steps and I never had a problem. Depends on the paper but I moved to canvas for everything except bagged prints and it simplified my life. Mounted them on gator board and popped them into an open-air (no glass) frame. 

• Good to know - thank you, Fletcher!

• I can't speak for others but I always give at least 2 coats of Desert Varnish by Moab to my paper prints (repros). I've also used Red River Paper's spray product which is excellent. It's just part of the price as is acid free mats. Some sprays left a white haze. Can't recall which ones. 

On my larger printings I also spray the back to eliminate curl. I test everything I use with water and/or leave on the back porch in the florida humidity to see how long it survives. Selling repros isn't my business, selling original art is, BUT I like feeling confident I'm giving the customer good quality for the price. For some, a repro is the best they can manage to support art and an artist they like. At least they aren't just snapping a pic with their phone! 

• Thank you, Jan - I appreciate the thoughtful reply!

This reply was deleted.