Optimism in 2010

The snow is melting and the shows are starting up here in the northeast. We've done five shows so far and the results are good. We did as good or better than the same shows in 2009, so that's a big plus. One show, the Connecticut Flower Show, was my biggest grossing show in 3 years.

But what are your feelings about 2010? Do you think it'll be better or worse than 2009? Personally I believe that it'll be a better year. I can't put my finger on it but I believe the shock of the economic crash has subsided and people are getting on with their lives. It's like when gasoline went to $3 a gallon and we panicked. But it'screeping up there again and nobody's batting an eye.

I also believe exhibitors either got the message last year and reworked their products and or booths to attract buyers or just got out. That's classic survival of the fittest.

What's your take on the coming year? What did you do to change, if at all?

Personally, I'm looking foward to the 2010 season!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pauline,
    You're unsure whether or not to book shows, Why? So you make $1500 instead of $2500. That's still more than if you sat home that weekend. At least that's the way I look at it. Last January I did a one day show in Glens Falls, in upstate New York. I made all of $650. And that money paid for a couple more show fees. I don't have the luxury of not doing shows as this is my sole income.

As far as reworking products, a lot of members here aren't 2D people so we can change what we do. Last year I changed my medium completely. I went from wood/ceramics to metal. New booth, new product, "new guy" at the shows. And yes, many exhibitors I see should rework their prices too.

You mention "sale" signs. Most of the promoters around here don't allow them either. Because we would see exhibitors set up these signs about 2 hours before the end of the show. "50% off." Simply because they didn't want to take the stuff home. We call this "50% fever" and it just cheapens the show overall.

To me, flower and garden shows are a great winter show, especially up here in the northeast. But the space fees are killers. The CT Flower Show was, including power, over $750 for a 10x10. Boston is $1800 for a 10x10. New Jersey is $1200. So while they are great winter shows, you gotta sell a LOT of product right next to the guy selling tractors.

Another reason I'm optimistic is the beginning of a backlash about things from China. Today China literally owns the United States through the loans Washington took out, and the people are starting to dislike that fact. I do have a sign in my booth that reads: What's made in China, Should STAY in China." People see that sign and want to know what can they get that's still made in the good ol' USA. BUT, the people want value for their money. Quality. And that's our job today.
  • I agree with you, Chris. Most people were very scared last year about the economy. I know I was extra careful where I spent my money. I do believe the bottom has been seen though and people are being a little less cautious.

I see artists being very careful where they spend their dollars, being extra sure when they apply for a show that it can sustain a minimal (at least) return. These are interesting times and they call for intrepid adventurous people to see how they can turn the "interesting" into prosperity. It is not altogether a bad thing.
  • I still have anxiety whether or not to book shows. I need to see results of others this spring to determine whether or not to show this summer and fall. I also have not seen any increase in art sales of galleries and gift shops I have work in. So that is another factor. I believe the gas prices will superceed $3/gal come May or JUne and get close to $4 again this summer. That will definitely affect sales like it did the last time. We are not out of the woods yet and much more clashing of the titans to occur with healthcare issues and the economy and jobs. So I am planning on a handful of shows this year.

Chris Im not sure what you mean by rework products. Prices? Famed to unframe? lol help.. Even though it is my business to produce sales and attract the public into my booth, I got flack from show people for placing a sign up for sale of certain items. Not sure what there beef was. And the sign stayed put to encourage sales. I feel what happens in my 10x10 space is my business, literally. It is not like I am selling snake oil or drugs.

Some show apps are now stating no sale signs allowed in booths, not more then one media which is limiting sales, prints are also limited to a small amount in bins and a few other rediculous "you can't do's" added to their rules. Does 2010 sound optimistic? I dont see it in this neck of the woods yet.

Dave, maybe that is where the future of artshows needs to be around here. Boatshows, Home and Gargen shows, Homearamas etc. That seems to be where the $$$ goes.
  • My first regular show is this Saturday, so I'll let you know after that! From other observations this year, I do agree that 2010 will be better. The best example locally (Norfolk/VA Beach, VA) was at the Home & Garden Show a few weeks ago. They set up an "Artist's Alley" in the lobby of the convention center. 27 Artists put in up to 3 pieces, plus a lot of prints and notecards. The last couple of years it was mainly the small stuff that sold. This year it was the large originals. The people that attend this show do not come there looking for Art, they come looking for Home and Garden items. To sell several large originals is a great sign for 2010.
This reply was deleted.