Hi Everyone,

I was juried in to the Spring show as an Emerging Artist.  I was excited at first, and sent in my 50% deposit. But after thinking more and more, it may not be the best decision for me.

I read the post here on AFI and it made me double doubt my decision.  The Energing Artist area is not a booth, more like a 10ft x 5ft area to work with - and I did think about that as well.

Would love to hear from anyone that took the risk and jumped in.

Thanks!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are referring to the One of a Kind Chicago exhibit, that show is expensive! I've been tempted to try it out sometime, but the fees are cost prohibitive. If I had the opportunity to test the waters as an emerging artist at a lower rate, I feel it would be a great way to get an idea if the show would be worth it in the future as a full-fledged vendor.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts, John!  That was my thinking as well, even though it is still expensive.  New experience - different, but hopefully will get some positive input for future fairs.

• Hi Janice,

I'm not sure which show you are accepted into.  Last year I was accepted into the American Craft Council show in Baltimore in March.  They gave emerging artists a 5x10' space, though there was room to store work behind the booth.  If this is the show you are considering, it was worthwhile for me.  The fees were reduced for emerging artists and the ACC had workshops before the show to answer questions and provide information. It was like drinking from a fire hose. (The importance of collecting emails and suggestions for how to do this, free tiks to give to your targeted audience, social media tips, pricing work, etc.). Their staff were tremendously helpful and patient with newbies. The show itself was mind blowing and after the workshops I felt prepared.  There were many more people than I had experienced at any other shows. Three galleries picked up my work and I met and sold to serious collectors.  In the ACC emerging artist program you are accepted for three years, they are helping you to build a following.

That said, each emerging artist program is different. How far you need to travel, show expenses, etc. will play a part in your decision making.  There is a lot of general discussion on this site about whether selling art is financially viable, and everyone's individual circumstances are different.

Good luck with your decision.

Ruth Ehrenkrantz

rutheclay.com

• Thanks so much, Ruth! It seems this is a similar type of show - very structured, but apparently they guide you along the way.  There's a specific time to get work to their loading doc, but everything is handled by their staff, and taken to the 5' x 10' space for emerging artists to set up.  A total new learning experience for sure!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Jan

This reply was deleted.