Replies

• I think it depends on your price points. Last show I did last fall, I had one cash transaction - all the rest (dozens) were cards. But my least expensive item is $35 and most are over $100. I noticed the artist next to me doing a good bit of cash transactions, but they were selling lots of smaller, less expensive items like notecards.

Years ago I used to start each show with $100 in small bills and coins in case I needed to make change on some small sales; today, I try to have a few bills and some coins in my pocket just in case, but I've found it really doesn't matter. Those one or two "cash" people per day usually also have exact change. 

• 90% of my sales are credit cards.

• Amazes me but some people pay still pay in cash. If they ask, I tell them I prefer a card because it's simply easier to keep track and for taxes.

But I keep $200 in small bills - $5/$10/$20 - but rarely use more than $30-40 bucks a day any more. Depends a bit on what you sell. If you have a lot of small work and it's like $30 - often some folks will pull out two $20s. And if you have several of those, you can run into a reserve cash problem very easily. When pricing, however, remember that you need to collect tax and that runs into odd figures. In Michigan where i am, a $60 piece requires the vendor to collect $63.60. i don't like keeping ones and i really don't like coins. So I try to price to make that a little easier. And if they're paying cash, I'd discount the art to give me an easy number to deal with from a cash basis. (Just keep track of the original price so you can file taxes!)

Better be safe than sorry. They might also have a card if you run out of change, but why risk a sale?

• A lot of people do pay in cash in my experience.  But a lot use cards. You can use Venmo, however, maybe get a Square as well, it takes Apple Pay etc. but there are fees associated.  

• Yes, I always have at least a couple of cash payments along with the usual credit cards and digital payments.

• I carry $300 in cash for change as most cash clients use $100 bills. This is out in CO resort ares in summer.  Most sales are cards but cash can be as high as 30% off total. Know your market and go prepared. 

• as a person who attends many art fairs, I never carry but a few dollars in cash.  I worry about pickpockets.  I only buy art from artists who take debit or credit cards.

This reply was deleted.