General

Nuts and bolts for this show can be found under artshowreviews.com by clicking the above link and going to Colorado Shows. Steamboat Springs is better known as a ski destination and the large number of Olympic skiers who call it home.  During the summer, river activities, cycling, hiking and golf are popular resort activities.  A lot of wealthy people have summer homes in Steamboat Springs, and many own horses.  Access to Steamboat Springs is by I70 and US40 from Denver, and US40 from Utah.  The show is held in West Lincoln Park along the Yampa River, and this was its 40th year. There were about 120 booths. 

I first did Art in the Park in 1998 and because I sold two saddles it was a $7K show. I did not return because the sales of other items were not strong.  I went back in 2005 after looking at booth pictures and realizing my sales were weak because my inventory was sparse in 1998.  I have done the show continuously since 2005, except for 2013 when they were very late in getting the call for entries out, and I had accepted Art on the Rockies in Edwards, CO.  In that seven- year period, sales ranged from $2.3K to $4.0K.

The weather in Steamboat is typical of Colorado mountains in the summer.  Afternoon thunder showers are common, and daytime temperatures are usually in the 70sto low 80s. This year there was only a brief thunder shower Friday afternoon during set up. Saturday and Sunday were in the low 80’s with scattered clouds, but no rain.

Set Up

Check in was at 12:00 noon on Friday, but personnel let us start unloading around 11:00. Traffic to unload is well controlled and you dolly your stuff from parking lots on opposite sides of the park or from along US40. At most, you have to dolly about 1/2 block, but the grass in the park is thick, and dollies with small wheels are difficult to move.  Booths are arranged around the perimeter of the park and around a manmade lake. There are sulfurous springs in the park. If you have silver, you need to request booth space away from the springs.  During the show, artists park in lots a couple blocks away and take a free shuttle back to the park. There was plenty of space behind booths for storage.

The Show Days

The show ran from 9:00 am to 5:00pm Saturday and 9:00 am to 4:00pm on Sunday.  The crowds were good on Saturday but sparse on Sunday.  My sales were a little under $3K Saturday and less than $1000 on Sunday.  Historically, at most Steamboat shows, sales have been near equal on both days.  My average sale was $85, and the most popular item was belts.  I had 42 sales, and some were $200-400 sales of gun leathers and silver-mounted tack (horse gear). I will apply to this show next year.

There was a good mix of high quality mediums.  My neighbor was a 2D artist who did Cherry Creek, CO last week. Food vendors were in a specific area along the river, and nonprofits were on the south side of the lake.

Take Down

Take down was well managed. You were not allowed to bring your vehicle into the parking lots until you were ready to load up. It looked like parking on US40 was first come who got the spaces. 

Management

The show was well managed by the Steamboat Springs Arts Council and it is an annual event in Steamboat Springs along with a hot-air balloon festival and the weekend rodeo. There was complimentary morning coffee, fruit and pastries.  I did not notice any booth sitters.  There were live entertainment and art activities for kids.

Restrooms were port-o-lets with sanitary hand wipe stations.   

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a white tent for the"white tent only" shows. My tan/ brown tent is heavier and better suited to mountain weather. Both were custom made by Davis Tent & Awning in Denver. Returning clients can tell where I am at without much wandering around LOL.
    • I shoulda known there was a reason ...

• I just read this long article in Steamboat Today -- about the show, but mostly about artists who want to do shows, are starting to do them and why. Full of info that will not be a big surprise, probably reinforce a lot of what you are thinking about this business, but worth the read: http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2014/jul/27/inside-booths/

• That was a pretty good article Connie.  It was too bad that in the slideshow there were two pictures of the "letter" people and the copper/marble wind spinners.

• It was good, thorough too. I wasn't so focused on the photos (for a change) but was very interested in the writer's point of view and her report on the behavior of the artists. I like to believe that things have changed since then. Then, Bill, you look at the date of it - 2010 - just about when everyone was scrambling so hard to sell anything and it is hard to believe.

• Whoo Hooo! I got my saddle and chinks in half a frame of a picture. Joel was my neighbor.

• Wasn't that a good article? That reporter spent a long time working on all of that. Good info and cogent comments which all make sense to the well-initiated on this site.

Ah, I just went back and looked again. The author of the piece was in the show. I clicked on the "in the booth" and yes, I see some saddles. You were next to the author. BUT don't tell me, Dick, you don't have a white tent?!

• I would like to add that Dick, and his wife Jean, helped Lori and I load up after the show. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• There were beautiful clouds over the ridge to the northwest both day.

image.jpg

• Pictures were on my iPad and I posted the review from my computer last night.

image.jpg

This reply was deleted.