First craft show - I need a canopy!

Hi Everyone... I'm a newbie gearing up for my first Art Craft Show Sept 3 and I'm so excited!!

I need to by a canopy and of course, I am on a budget. I really need to keep it under $300 - but even within that range, I'm driving myself nuts! I'm between an EZ UP Express II  the lightest @ around 58 lbs  @ Sam's Club for $199 (Sam's Club is their only authorized outside dealer - but their version has an inferior canopy denier) - EZ Encore II (68 lbs) through Elite- an unauthorized dealer - for $299 (the Encore is discontinued)... but it is a heavier weight than the Epress II ... and last, but not least is the Caravan Displayshade (a little heavier than the Encore II) from Elite for $279.... Any advice? I'm 4'10 1/2" - and even though my wonderful husband will be helping me set up this show, I'd really like to be able to handle whatever I get myself - (future shows on my own, etc) ... so being lightweight is good- but this show will be in Ocean Grove, NJ - and I'll be less than 100 yards from the beach - so WIND will be a factor... What do you all recommend?

Thanks so much!!!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Make sure that if you have problems you can take back to the Sam's Club.  Many warranties you have to mail the item back to the manufacturer.  Is the show a multiple day show?  Many times the wind problems happen at night when you aren't there.  Good luck to you.
    • I will make sure - good advice! The show is only one day... Thanks Diane :-)

• Beware of the really inexpensive Easy-ups.   As many have said "Easy up .... easy down".  I've seen many, even when HEAVILY weighted, fold up like a suitcase in the wind, when many heavier canopys were unaffected.   I remember a couple shows in particular, where the legs stayed put due to the heavy weights, but the top structure twisted, bent and with snapping bars, collapsed sideways into another's more expensive set-up.  The metal support structure under the canopy top is very weak in the cheap models and can easily bend in wind.   This is especially a problem at coastal shows ..... especially on boardwalks.   Some of the older "easy-up style" models, from 10 years ago, were heavier (such as the KD Kanopy), but the newer ones are really "flimsy".   Unfortunately, the better solutions cost more  money (500 to 1200), such as the Trimline from Flourish Company.   But Flourish does have other options as well ....... check them out on the web.   They're really easy to do business with.

Bill Hobbs

• William,

Not everybody has $500 to $1200 to spend on a canopy today.  And for a first timer I would never suggest spending that lind of money. What if she decides she doesn't like doing shows? This business surely isn't for everybody.

What Lisa purchased is perfect for her situation.  It'll last for a while and if she decides this is what she wants to do, then advancing to another canopy is definitely the way to go.

I have done shows where the cheap units were indeed a twisted wreckage. But also were $1,000 dome units bent and destroyed. With weather like that it makes no difference what you have.

The whole secret is in the preparation of the canopy at the show.  Properly anchoring it down is paramount. Sometimes weights just won't cut it.  And when doing outdoor shows, you always keep an eye on the weather.

• Thanks Chris - I agree. I always do research before buying most things- even things costing very little - because that's my nature :-) Having said that, I did my research on many canopies- including more substantial ones, and this one seems to be the best one for me at this time on several levels: price - for only $200, (I THINK I will love doing this - but like Chris said, who knows if this will  doing shows). At that price, it offers a lot of bang for my buck: 600 denier canopy, steel truss/aluminum legs - and buying it locally makes it easy to return if there is a problem... I also like that I bought it through EZ's only authorized dealer. Of course, all that aside, if it gets so windy that tents start flying, I'm not going to stick around and see how flimsy my investment is - I'm getting out of there... Even if my canopy survived, why would I chance getting hit my someone else's. :-)
    • Thanks Amy- I live in NJ- I'm going for the Sam's Club EZ Express type (it's EZ's version of their Express II made for Sam's Club. It has a 600 D. canopy- a steel canopy frame & aircraft grade aluminum (not sure if this term is BS or truly a stronger grade of aluminum) legs. It is a bit lighter than the Encore & Display Shade - which I kind f like being that I'm 4'10 1/2" and have osteoporosis & a not so great back... although my wonderful husband will be with me this show to help me- at some point, there may be a show I will go to on my own. It has a 2 year warranty and if there are issues with it when I get it - I can DRIVE over to Sam's Club & return it or exchange it. My attitude is, if it's so windy where people's tents are starting to take flight, I would take down my tent & go home - Even if my own tent was not a flight risk, I don't have a need to be hit by someone else's :-D
      • This sounds like the one I got from BJ's. It's a good starter canopy.

Now some tips about using it. I do shows in NJ and it's a rare show where we cannot stake down.

Buy dog stakes. The ones that screw into the ground. The top should have loops at each corner. Screw the dog stakes into the ground at each corner and tie a rope to the loop.  That will prevent it from blowing away. Also stake it down at the bottom of the legs using the spikes that come with it. It's not going anywhere. I don't own any weights. Never did. And I've been in Nor'easters with horizontal rain coming off the ocean.

You can go online and find a 10x10 white tarp. I use one for a "ceiling" in the canopy. It prevents the wind from lifting the canopy and also keeps it cooler inside. They're not that expensive and you just bungee it to the frame.

You're ready to go. Go to the shows and remember the most important part of this business. Have fun!!!

• Wow - no weights?! That's great!! Dog stakes are a lot easier to carry and deal with!! I also love your idea about the white tarp! Thanks so much Chris!
  • Lisa,

Where are you located. I still have my Encore - brand new top, old walls, old bag.  The frame is still good.  I am in the Northern suburbs of Chicago and as I consider this I could use the space in my garage :)  I would sell it for far less than it cost me.

• The best investment you can make for a pop-up is the Sta-Bar kit from Flourish.com.  The bars keep the canopy from swaying, and also make a great attachment point for displays.  I've done a lot of windy shows and my Caravan has lasted 4 years.  I've looked down the line of tents and seen them all swaying in the breeze, except mine.  The Sta-bar is the best $150 investment I've made, and Flourish should give me a commission as many of these as I've sold for them:-) 

The only thing I can say about the difference between canopies is that the zippers on the Caravan sidewalls are cheap.  I've gone through 2 sets of sidewalls and need to order another set before my next outdoor show.  I've probably done over 30 outdoor shows with the $220 Caravan that I got at Costco.  The frame and the top are intact. 

I use steel gridwall for display panels.  They add over 200 pounds to the tent, so extra weight is probably not needed.  Still, I use the sand bags from Flourish (fill them with gravel, not sand), and I have a couple cement in plastic tube weights, just for added security. 

This reply was deleted.