Zapplication

Greetings fellow artists!

Last year I applied, and was denied entry into a art show, the contact person was kind enough to let me know the CD I sent in w/images was not a good quality, and she recommended that next time I apply, I go to Zapplication. 

Fast forward: applied for another event 3 weeks ago. The status of my application on Zapp simply says 'received'. The website explains the various status, that is, 'jury deliberating' etc etc. As of yet, the status is STILL received. I emailed Zapp asking how long this process takes & never got a response.  I even called someone AT the event I'm applying for, and SHE confirmed that yes, they got my application. 

What is everyone's take on Zapplication? TIA everyone!

Cathy

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Go back to the show you applied for and check out the prospectus.  What does it say?  It should list the deadline, the notification date, etc.  I have to go back on occasion to check out the shows I have applied to so I know when the notifications will start and how they do it.

• Thanks Sue and ALL who replied to my post. I am checking it daily and the status is still 'received'. I'll wait until the end of the week to contact any one on it again. I was told by someone at the event itself that the jury was meeting this week. 

• Just because the jury is meeting this week does not mean they will contact you immediately.  You need to see when the notifications will go out.  Juries take a long time (sometimes a whole month), they see the photos more than once.  First to get rid of those who do not fulfill their requirements (the right pics, lousy booth shots, crappy pics etc), then to prejudge the rest, then to buckle down and really judge them as to whether they are good, fit into their show, etc.  THEN they send out notices.  Be patient.  Like I said, read the prospectus and see when their notices will be sent out.  If you have not heard from them a week after the notification date, then you  should contact them.  They do not post immediately on ZAPP what they are doing, takes time.

• p.s., do not contact them too much, you could be put on a 'newbie' list with no sales tracking.  They would prefer someone with sales to get their commissions from. They have ways they do things and you need to be patient.  Check out the notifications, please, to see when they will let every one know!

• If the jury is meeting this week, that is all that it is supposed to say. You just have to wait it out.

• Thanks Judy! I'm a waiting. :)

• Yes, Zapp is the standard. If you want to participate in the best shows it is a very helpful tool. There is a lot of info on their site that will probably answer any questions you have.

• The status is something show directors can change at will. Doesn't mean that they are still jurying.

If you sent images on a CD, were they the requested size? I've always done free image evaluations. You can e-mail me your images to Larry@bermanart.com and include your phone number. I'll check out your images and give you advice on how to improve them.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• Zapplication is the way MOST shows handle applications, so get as savvy about Zapp as you can.  There are a few others, like Juried Art Services, but Zapp is the largest and most used.  Check it all the time.  When I did 22 shows a year I made sure to keep all photos up to date and store good booth pix as well.  It is easy and efficient, once you get the hang of it.  You can use the calendar features to be aware of deadlines for entries and booth fees and stay on top of it: some shows have types of booths that are only available first-come-first-served, and you can miss these if you are waiting for a message from ZAPP.  You will often be notified by the show before you see things on Zapp, too.  Sometimes they haven't reset their status when they notify you.  A good feature is the "archives" because if you do shows year after year, you can see what you sent them to jury with, and you can keep it fresh each year.

• As Larry and Greg mentioned, ZAPP provides the platform these festivals use to collect applications, jury, and communicate with artists. Each event sets its policies and timelines, so we can't always speak to notification dates (particularly if a festival has not listed it publicly). We are always happy to answer any questions you have or facilitate communication with an event, however! We respond to every message we get within two business days. To ensure you receive our responses, we would recommend adding contactzapp@westaf.org to your safe sender list and/or address book. 
    Thanks!
    Julia
    ZAPP team
This reply was deleted.