Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

In art fair circles for years there has been talk about buy/sell and reps showing up with someone else's work. I found this meeting mention in The Orlando Sentinel:

Artists participating in the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival are set to meet Friday evening to discuss forming a commission that would set standards for work displayed at art festivals. The purpose of the commission would be to certify that work in an artist's booth was in fact created by the artist, according to photographer Les Slesnick, who is organizing the gathering. The meeting will happen in the Rotary Beer Garden just south of Morse Boulevard just after the festival closes at 6 p.m.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or have any suggestions we could share with Les?

Views: 29913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry but you need to open your eyes. I will put it in terms that I hope you can understand. Les asked Holly to judge a show here in FL. He suggested to the director of the show that he thought Holly could do a good job. After all the derogatives of the past including things that you obviously are not aware of, the invitation to judge was withdrawn. The rest of your assumptions are pure garbage. Maybe you need to stop being the parrot.

If you read all the posts, how many times did I state that under no circumstances will I support anything other than verifiying that the artist is doing their own work nothing more, nothing less. Since it went beyond that I stopped. If that is ELITIST,Well.

And yet here you are, continuously keeping the whole issue going. This is my second and last post on this- it is NO LONGER AN ISSUE. DROP IT. IT failed, it's done.

Leave it alone. NUFF SAID!

I completely agree, Karole.  however, the site,  jcaafa.weebly.com   remains published, in it's original form. Why ?  And besides the huge views this blog has received, the poll received a mere 192 votes. Again, why?

The real truths behind and underneath are emerging through to daylight. 

I planned to stop following this today, but you know, I'm still learning things here that are important. So let it roll, I say.

It ends when no one follows it anymore, free will.

Oh, I don't plan to stop following it...granted, I know it affects me in NO way, shape or form, as I am so far away, and do vastly different shows than the rest of you. But I DO need to be aware of what is happening, and how to combat it when it eventually trickles this way- which could be years from now, or could be tomorrow! I hadn't even planned to contribute, at all.

All that aside, the dodgy protestations, and blind adherence of one individual, to continue trying to defend something as preposterous as this when all explained why they were objecting to the issue, just well fired my "Idiocracy" detector off!! When they do not get as many Artists to hop on the band wagon as they need to keep this alive, it will die a sad lonely death.

I will follow, keep watch for, and insulate MY business, and my future from all this, and those particular individuals. (Meaning the elitist crew) But this IS my last post on this. The toxicity is destructive.

So Holly is no longer a competent judge because she disagrees with Les and might even have said bad things about him?  And this is under, most likely, Les' judging system where the judges don't talk to each other, they just score?  And how is this different than a show blacklisting an artist because they complained about something?  I think there are things you are not aware of. 

But Alison when we ever had a blacklisting? I  think that always had been the case. That is the reason why I do not complain. If I see something that I do not like I just look elsewhere or the sales better be very good for me keep me going.

That’s a really interesting point Alison.  This is taken directly from the Slesnick judging write-up Connie posted on AFI on Dec 14, 2011.

“Judges’ personalities and the typical bartering and negotiating for awards are removed from the equation with this system, as awards are based solely on the numbers.  Each judge has equal input, and a juror with an aggressive or overbearing personality is not able to put down or minimize the opinions of others.  Each judge, regardless of strength of personality or a lack thereof, has equal input to the end.”

It would seem if Slesnick wants to advocate a system like this where the judges’ personalities are removed from the equation, it would have made more sense to leave Holly as a judge to demonstrate objectivity.  But it looks like the aggressive and overbearing personalities in this discussion are obvious.  And one of them refuses to rear his head. 

Good point, Bec. One judge is obviously not objective, but pretends to be.

There comes a point when it's not possible for two humans to work together peaceably. Doesn't matter what the cause. Politics is the art of getting along, and when two people do not get along, it's better that one takes a long walk. Voluntarily or otherwise. 

Much as I like Les personally he should not have the power to convince a show withdraw an offer to artist to judge that show.  It is way too much influence.  If he thought Holly would do a good job then she would do a good job regardless of what she thinks or says here or elsewhere.   I still believe we are living in a democracy that values and protects free speech.  His role should have been to only to advise not to manage and determine the final mix of judges.  In the work world we all learned that we didn't have to like one another to work as a team to accomplish a goal, it's called getting along.  What Les did was punitive, if Holly was publicized as a judge then it may be damaging to her as an artist, and it certainly makes the show promoter look like a jackass for caving in to Les.  She would not have been working for Les but for the show.  This is very disappointing.

martha

Exactly! 

And yet another show that all artists should avoid applying to.

On Les' personal website he says he no longer is showing at festivals but volunteers and works with shows to make them more artist friendly.

He doesn't sound too artist friendly right about now.

Who appointed him the authority of 'all things art show anyway?'  

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service