Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

What's the case for or against allowing a festival attendee to photograph your work? Is there a "standard practice" and/or proper etiquette in this regard? 

Views: 1564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not all powerful ;(

Connie, This site is your world. On here you are the omnipotent.

Thou shalt have complete control over thy humble DATA posters :-)

Up to you, but your images are proprietary.  If you let someone photograph your work, you run the risk of having that person run off a print for himself, thereby cheating you of your price.  Paranoid, perhaps, but the technology now is good enough for an undiscriminating shopper to duplicate your piece and make a print for private or sale use.  Many artists have a "Please do not photograph" sign in their booths (not that people don't do it anyway!).  Why is anyone taking pictures of your work anyway?

Here is another way to look at it.

Someone who would actually take a cell phone picture of your artwork to later print it or share on their social media is not a person who would have ever bought it in the first place. You are not losing a sale because the person took a picture.

Also, the picture the person takes is most likely not going to turn out that great due to glass reflection or glare from thickly textured oil paints. So, I'd rather them attempt to print that or share that then to have them swipe it from my website (those of you who think your watermark is protecting your image, it's not) because then it is obvious that they took a picture of a picture. For this reason, I would not mind if someone wants to take a picture and post it on their Instagram. It can only lead to more exposure and I don't believe it will hurt my sales (could help them).

Photographing artwork is not easy. It takes the right lighting to pull it off. Outside at an art festival is not the right light.

If it makes you feel better, get a little laser pointer. Whenever someone points a camera at your artwork, squiggle the pointer on the piece! There you go, instant watermark.

Correct about the watermark. Adobe came out with software designed explicitly to remove watermarks. Wow! What a ridiculous idea!

"...You are not losing a sale because the person took a picture." I disagree.

A) To them it is good enough.

B) Others see it as an example of my work quality and become disinterested in my work.

C) I have, already stopped someone from taking a picture who did then make a purchase.

D) Them sharing it on the Social Media site DOES lose sales. The old adage "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk free" So someone else can see my artwork on F-book or I-gram anytime they want, therefore they may not purchase from me.

My art is intellectual property. It is not just the paper, chemicals, mat, frame etc that I used to make it. It is my concept, composition, angles, lighting, exposure, depth of field... my ideas.

I have had many people inquire how I accomplished, some of my shots. It is more than just technique. 

If an artist chooses to allow someone to steal, copy or plagiarize their creativity fine. 

However a customer should NEVER do so without express permission from the artist.

Also other artist should ALWAYS support this principal.

It is OUR property. It is OUR choice.

My point was that the type of person that would think their snapshot of my work is good enough, then they would never have bought it in the first place. So, in that respect, I did not lose a sale.

But I completely understand what you are saying. I used to think exactly the same way. I changed. Yes, it is your choice though.

Hi Larry, agree on all points.  But can you tell me what software Adobe came out with explicitly to remove watermarks?  I'm pretty Adobe savvy, and haven't heard them advertise anything to that effect.  Or are you just referring to the use of tools like C-A Fill, S-H Brush, Cl St, etc?  If there's a special software package by Adobe designed to remove watermarks, then there's got to be a method for foiling that software, and I'd like to find/test it, and I'll share my results here.

I believe in watermarking everything placed in the public domain (IG, FB, www., etc.), since with proper forensics we can prove it was removed/altered, which leads to malicious intent in a court case, which I've won a few times now. 

Chris, I will have to research. I believe I first read about it, last year, on DPReview. Most likely in the forums.

I then discussed it with some other pro photographer friends, who are far more savy with the photo editing realm than I. 

I am not much for photo manipulation post processing, nor the various tools and names, therefore I could not help you.

I will try to find my old notes on it.

Our biggest interest, as well as the debate, at the time, was the quandary of a company developing a tool such as that, which we could only see as nefarious.

I'm sorry I cannot site the article.

I will continue to look for it.

Adobe does not have such a tool. However, this is a big discussion in the stock photography world because there are nefarious websites that can, remove watermarks from sites like Shutterstock and Adobe stock and then give away the images for free. This, however, can only be done because of a large number of images in the stock agencies database. The Bot goes through millions of images in seconds and analyzes them to determine what and where the watermark is, then it can use technology similar to content aware to fill in the appropriate area, thus removing the watermark. This only works on databases with millions of images. For your's, someone would still have to do it the old-fashioned way, by hand in photoshop.

I believe, among other tools in PS, there is at least one "Content Aware" tool, within PS that will remove watermarks, without having to analyze millions of  other images.

Again, I am not an expert on this. Others will know better than I.

I am actually a photoshop expert. And I can tell you that Content Aware cannot do that.

Whether the person wold ever have bought your artwork or whether the print is decent is aside from the point.  It's theft.  Why make it easier for you to be robbed?

RSS

Want to sell more online? Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey
Who Won and Why

Top 10 Reviewers on ArtShowReviews.com for January and February

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

© 2019   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service