Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Let's do it as a top ten: My number 1 is

"Did j'all make this"?

Views: 36744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get asked the same question constantly, except that they ask for red. No matter what shade of red I show them, it's never the right one.

“No, not that red: that’s not a real red. (It’s a fake color?!) No, not that red, that’s too bright/dull/light/dark/orange/purpley.”  I figure, they want a red to match their outfit so precisely, that it will be invisible against their clothing.

Once this woman had a multi-colored shirt. She wanted earrings that had ALL of those colors. Somehow I had them and she bought them. Why do people want the MATCH so much?
I think its just an excuse.  They don't want to disappoint you by not buying so NOT having that colour, NOT having something in the right pose, NOT having something the exact size, NOT taking credit (ha, usually got them on that one at least), NOT taking laybys etc., its all a way of getting out of the booth without them feeling guilty for not buying!!

I had a woman who asked if I could a "pinkier pink" in a photo of mine.  I said, "No, but I can do a checkier check," and smiled while saying it.  She just had no sense of humor and stomped off.  

Then there was the woman (I'm not picking on women, but they're 80% of my customer base, so the odds of getting oddball questions increase geometrically) who brought in her husband, mother and father and swatches and paint samples and found a photo ($59, be still my beating heart!) with a perfect match of all four colors.  Her husband said "Hallelujah, she's been looking for something like this for two years!"  Her parents nodded and smiled big time.  Then, she said, "I just don't know, I'll have to think about it."  I thought I'd have to do an intervention from keeping her family from piling on her.  Of course, she never came back.

Those people just want the "no".  Then they can walk off feeling good thast would have bought something if.....  Hubby and I come across this all the time.  We just say to each other"Well, they got their No." Move on to the next real customer.
Recently, I showed a few of my paintings to a group of female friends. Three of the four all asked if I worked in 'red'. Told me they would never consider buying a piece of art that wasn't 'red'. I was flabbergasted. I asked if the subject matter mattered...their response, no, the art just needed to be red. I accepted that while they are my friends, they are quite simply not my patrons.

I am color-driven so any booth that has "my" colors gets a visit from me.  I still go into other booths but I will always check out things in certain colors.  I know it sounds weird but that is how my eye for what I like works.  

And then I run into the problem where I may love an artist's technique but don't care for the subject of the work so I won't consider it.  

I may be weird but I am happily weird!!

This past Sunday, woman walks into my booth, says 'My husband was here yesterday, loves your work, so I want to buy him one of your pieces for Father's Day'.  I'm thinking, ok pick which one you want, slam dunk sale.  Next words out of her mouth are 'So, do you have a business card'.  Huh? 
It was a very small piece she wanted. Like about 2 x 3 inches......

I make glass beads which I make into jewelry.  The number one question I usually get asked is where do I buy my beads.  The number two question I get asked is:  Is this polymer clay?

So one time a woman asks me this question and I patiently explain it's glass and after a rather long explanation of the beadmaking process she looks me in the eye and tells me that it's polymer clay.  No, I don't think so since I made it I'm pretty sure I know what the material is.  No, she tells me, she's positive it's polymer clay but she doesn't understand how I got it transparent.  I told her it was a secret recipe.

martha

Martha:  As a lampworker too, I often get customers who want to argue with me about how the beads are made (Plastic and resin are my personal favorites...).  I've gotten in the habit, then, of bringing along several that are still on the mandrel for "show and tell".  (To everyone else, these are stainless steel rods that vary in diameter, are about 18" or so long and are what we form the glass bead around.  It's what makes the hole in your beads....)  I had just had a particular session and had set aside the mandrels while I wrote up a sale.  Sure enough, someone picked one of them up and turned to her friend and said, "How are you suppose to wear this pin?"  Her friend answered, "Silly, that's for your hair..." and they both left.  I was laughing too hard to stop them and let the aficiaonados be on their merry way... 

I make stone lamps. My favorite was a well dressed, upper classed looking woman. She looked over all of my lamps, thought for sure was an easy sale coming up. She came up to me and asked what my stone lamps were made of. It was the end of a very loooong day and without thinking I said "Uh..rock". She looked at me as if I called her a very nasty name and stormed out of my tent. Lost a sale, learned alot about dealing with people, but was hilarious

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service