Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Let's do it as a top ten: My number 1 is

"Did j'all make this"?

Views: 36763

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is when I tell them that I do.   I constantly upgrade to the newest version from Verizon. 

"Thanks! Your mouth makes really nice compliments." 

http://www.whattheduck.net/strip/95

Amazing!  Truly, the worst photos I have ever taken were with my most expensive camera...

I am new to this site and am having a great time reading through this thread....hilarious. I’m also a landscape photographer and people say that’s me all the time...”You must have a good camera”, to which I reply...”Are you a good cook? You must have a good oven”. They usually laugh with me and say they get it. ;)

Tell her its a Carp not crap.

some of my faves....

him "do you make those in your oven?"  me "no, it's done in a kiln"  him "can't you do it in your oven?"  me "only if it can go to 1450 degrees..."

her "is that acrylic?"  me "no, it's all glass"  her "are you sure?"

him "how did you paint that?"  me,"no, it's all glass"  him "sure looks like paint to me..."

them "my <insert relative here> took a class and does the same thing"   me "bet you get lots of good x-mas presents"

I do pastels and my work is realistic. My least favorite question is when people ask me if I take photos and paint directly over them.

My number 2 is: when I say what medium I use, sometimes I get, "That is like crayons, right?" and then when I explain what pastels are made of, sometime I still get a follow up response, "Just like crayons"

Yes! Chalk too. Just like chalk. No explanation of pastels ever seems to suffice.

Two favorites:

"Thas jes melted crayons, aint it."

and

"Zat playdough?"

How about the guy that comes in and says, "I wish I could just sit around and make art, but I have to work."?
Or
"Why is that so expensive?"

But the sign of a bad show is "what are all these tents for?"
Hah! I had that question asked of me in Rising Sun, Indiana at their first show. Two blocks of tents back to back down the middle of the street, banners out the wazoo, and some wandering twit asks what's going on and why the tents in the street? Sold a $20 item to another artist on Saturday, and that was it. Managed to get out of town on the next day about 20 minutes before the major wind storms hit that knocked out power for several days up and down the Ohio Valley. I think that show could be classified as a bad show ;-)
We were at that show. My wife still refers to Rising Sun as "Hooterville". We were lucky to escape with our tents intact. Nels was smart: he was supposed to be there, but bailed on it.

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service