While photographing one of my paintings, I was having difficulty getting the true colors to come out.  So I posted my photo of the artwork to a photography forum, asking for suggestions on how to correct for this.  To my surprise, the very first response was from someone who wrote "May I be frank?  That painting is horrible!"  Um, ok.  But I didn't ask you to critique my artwork, I asked for help in correcting the colors in the photo.  So I just responded that "that was fine, we all have different tastes, but please can someone address my actual question." Luckily, many others did post responses addressing my question, and quite a few chastised the first poster for his rudeness.  

So, just wondered, what is the rudest comment someone has made concerning your artwork?  And how did you handle it?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lady comes in to my booth... spends a decent amount of time looking at everything... finally decides to tell me that my prices are too high... I was taken by surprise on that one...tried to be nice but still responded...
    "so, you think that $35 for an original painting (5 x 7) is too much?"... she responds that she too is an artist and sells down on the "west side" - and 'if you had a booth there, no one would even LOOK at your stuff'.  I then proceed to get out my yogurt and eat it...she left.  I should have responded, "If no one will even look at it, what drew you in and why are you still here!"?  I just don't get some people... it's like coming to your house just to insult you...who needs it?  baffling.

• It is possible that person, was of the mindset... condemning other's will elevate her own self worth.

I have, once in awhile, encountered potential customers who did not want to spend at my price-points. I have NEVER had a customer state, in any way, that my works were not worth the price I listed.

• Baffling indeed Rachelle. Some people's mouths are faster than their brains. That means hers are selling for less than $35. I have spent at least that before I even begin painting. The lowest my 5' x 7" paintings go for are $175.00 with most in the $500.00 dollar range.

Responding in any manner that states you are a professional and your prices reflect that would also be a good response.

• It doesn't take great equipment nor great places, to make great photographs. This is contrary to what Ansel Adams said. I believe he said "If you want to get great photographs, go to great places".

I have created award winning shots with a home made pinhole camera and shooting things I found laying along the roadside (garbage).

• I do digital aviation and have only been to a handful of shows so far.  People are always curious how I create my work.  They can tell it's not a painting, but that it's not a photo either.  When I describe how I create the work on a computer most people seem interested and want to know more.  I had one woman tell me that I was "cheating" and this wasn't art.  I just kinda shrugged it off, but my thought was I'll sit you down in front of my Mac and let's see what you can create.  I'm the first to admit my work is not art, more in line with illustration, but cheating was a bit extreme.

• I would NOT call what you do cheating. It is an art form. The only way I would call it cheating is if you were to represent it as "Photography" or "painting". However, you have already stated, you don't. So it is another medium of art. Unfortunately there are many who do their work, heavily with graphic design or computer enhancement, then claimit is photography. That is cheating. Let the creativity flow.

• Don't ever remember getting a rude comment in 30 years. Sometimes a person will turn and leave and say “whoa “ or “too much fo me” but never in a rude way. ( I paint backyard bird pictures )
  • The one that I always get is Oh, don't buy that, I can make it for you. After many years I mostly ignore it, but if the person is very rude and loud I ask her, how would you made it, she then will tell me and even if she is right on I look at her right in the eye and say, I didn't make that way. With knitting everyone thinks that they can just do it, they forget that they will need a pattern of the design, since I write all of my own patterns it confuses them:)))))))))

• Yes, as Larry said everyone thinks they can do it themselves.

That is because they are seeing the finished product or piece. What they don't see is the years of experience, the knowledge of art/design, all the 'fails' before, all of which went into that one piece.

Professionals make it look easy and that is how I respond in some fashion.

"I have been doing this so long (for so many years) I make it look easy don't I?" or

"I have a college degree and years of experience..."

Anything that makes them actually think about (the stupidity of) what they said without being confrontational works like a charm. It has a way of stopping people in their tracks.

I am essentially agreeing with them first without getting defensive, pointing out it really isn't so easy and putting it on them and because there may be others within earshot is a good professional way of handling their ignorance.

• @David, thanks for posting this. I am a fine art photographer, I take my pop up art gallery to east coast shows, and my signature collection is macro. I think you just gave me the perfect answer to the ubiquitous show comment/insult: "You must have a REALLY GREAT.... CAMERA!" Instead of the swallowed, unsaid responses such as "Oh. When you go to a gourmet restaurant, do you approach the chef and tell him: "You must have a REALLY GREAT OVEN!"

This reply was deleted.