Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Hi. I’m looking for weights to add to my tent. What do you use and how many pounds are they. Also do you know where to buy them or make them. I was thinking of getting PVC pipe ,filling it with cement and a hook to hang it. Please let me know. Thanks.
Wendy

Views: 8104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry about that the url is: www.ez-weights.com/Order.htm
The story behind my first information about this came from an email Richard (the artist who makes these) sent to a list of artists from a show in Minn. Anyway the video showed an ez up tent being tossed about in a windstorm in the badlands... since I live in the badlands I thought this was a little too creepy... turns out that he is from the area and the fact that it was so close to home was pure coincidence.

dawn rasmussen said:
Actually I have had good luck with EZ weights. You can find them at EZweight.com. They are made by an artist in Rapid City. They are essentially square pvc tubes (about 5" x 5" x 4' tall .. aprox) They have grooves for wooden clamps that attatch to your booth corners on the bottom, middle and top. There is a large screw-in nut on the top that you screw open and fill the tube with water, then empty after the show and haul empty pvc home. I have been one of few tents left standing in bad storms with just these weights clamped on, something about the weight atatched to the legs of the tent make the whole thing more stable in bad wind.

dawn rasmussen said:
I actually saw competition for the orange buckets last season... 50 gallon blue plastic drums filled with water, right in front of the booth... bird baths.... shower water for desperate campers at the end of a hot day?

Greg Heihn said:
As long as you are asking I'll share my secret! John Deere tractor weights! YEP. By cracky, thats the classy way to weight down your tent.
The only drawback is, depending of course on where you are, the distinct possibility that they could be stolen! Even before one steals your art work.
Had many comments on those weights and even some drooling from patrons.
Now I use the Trimline bag weights about 40 or so #'s each. In the winter you can dump them out for traction if needed.
But the really CLASSY way to weight down your tent is with bright orange 5 gal buckets strapped to the tent with bright yellow straps. Filled of course with sand. When placed at the front corners of the tent-why its like a neon sign! An attractant for the buying public! And they can put out their ciggs in them before they enter to purchase.
I use water jugs. I think they each hold about 8 gallons of water. They don't look pretty and one of these days I'm going to do something different or make pretty covers for them. If load out is really difficult I will dump them but generally I leave them filled unless I have a couple months between shows. I used to dump them every time until I realized how difficult it was to find water at shows sometimes. They've worked fine for me so far.
I'd be interested to hear from someone who is using the EZ weights on a Craft Hut or Trimline. They look intriguing but they are marketted as shade canopy weights which concerns me.
I use the EZ Weights on my Trimline.  I lay them down and bungee them to the stability bars instead of the four poles that way I can zip up my tent (I have propanels that hinder that).  They are good in that they are pretty light weight once I drop off the water.
I made my own. I used PVC, 6" pipe and poured it full of concrete. I also embedded a hook and eye. It weighed about 50 lbs/each It worked well. Tent never blew away. Reach me at larry@larrysimages.com or 419-565-5207. I live in Mansfield, OH

How tall did you need to make the pipes to fit the 50lbs of concrete?

I use something similar to that of Warren's.  I had one of our local welders help me out.  He welded a 6" square tubing to a 6"x12" piece of 1/2 metal.  the square tubing was set at an angle.  He then welded a round tube to the other end and drilled hole in line with the hole in the feet of my canopy.  The square tubing goes up into the legs of the canopy and then bolts to the feet.  I then use the weights from my son's weight bench (plus additional purchased) on each of the round tubes.  I can put 50 - 60 lbs on each leg.  With the square tubing at an angle, they hide perfectly under the tables and out of site.   Living in Kansas with the winds we have here (gusting up to 45 mph) my tent hasn't moved an inch.   not a very good picture - hopefully gives you an idea.

We use the EZ-UP weight bags with 45 lbs of garden rocks per bag.  Our EZUP Encore II has stayed pretty solid since 2006 even in some pretty severe weather.
I have 2 sets of King Canopy weight bags.  They are black canvas and are barely noticable.   I have staybars so they are really easy to hide.  I used paver sand so it doesn't leak out.  They weigh about 35lbs each.   Most of the shows I do are picky about the way the weights look, and these look great.  The best part is they are really cheap.  You can buy a set of 4 for $20 at http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=7KC-INAWB400&so...   or $25 at http://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Canopy-s-Weight-Bags-for-Instant-Leg...     The bags fit really easily in nooks and cranies in my van. 
I have used several types of weights, the best ones I found were vinyl bags that wrap around the pole and attach with buckles.  I fill with sand or gravel. They can be emptied and stored. New Ventures.com sells them
Thanks Phil for the link.  Many don't realize.  Plus they are not the most economical way to go. 
Phil, I had stumbled upon this blog when I started looking at weights and that is one thing that prompted me to go with the system I have where the "Feet' are bolted to the legs rather than the frame.  If winds are really bad then I will use weights tied to the frame in addition to my "feet" weights.

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service