Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Hi. I’m looking for weights to add to my tent. What do you use and how many pounds are they. Also do you know where to buy them or make them. I was thinking of getting PVC pipe ,filling it with cement and a hook to hang it. Please let me know. Thanks.
Wendy

Views: 8104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Larry - I love them..... where can I get ahold of those...... and will you help me during set-up?

Larry Berman said:
These really big weights will hold down your canopy

http://bermangraphics.com/images/big-weights.jpg

Larry Berman
Digital Jury Services
http://BermanGraphics.com
Art Show Tips Blog
http://ArtShowTips.com
412-767-8644
Those are great Larry! But I'm afraid you would have a load of envious crane operators in your booth!

Larry Berman said:
These really big weights will hold down your canopy

http://bermangraphics.com/images/big-weights.jpg

Larry Berman
Digital Jury Services
http://BermanGraphics.com
Art Show Tips Blog
http://ArtShowTips.com
412-767-8644
Yes, as other posts have said, use PVC pipes (you can find wider ones at a plumbing contractor's store). Just remember to attach a T-connection or wide washer between two bolts at the END of your eye-hook. You can also wrap and tie (with wire) a ball of chicken wire at the end of the washer/bolt for extra stability. This will allow the to remain on no matter what happens.

Also, why not make the hooks functional? Buy "Bumper Sticker" labels for your ink-jet and you can add your name, logo, VISA/MC etc. accepted or even a design of your own artwork and affix it to the outside of the PVC pipe. i have found that vertical designs work best.
Ok. This is my last comment on this subject. Hey! Was that a collective "Whew" I just heard?

Nuclear Waste! . Uranium weighs more than lead. The rods are probably the right diameter. There are plenty of them out there. Hard to get though I suppose.
Tapped and fitted with a hook they would be alot heavier than the PVC and concrete ones.
Given time and continuous use, your tent would become self lighting! You can get rid of those polluting generators!
Your tent would stand out in the crowd!
Best of all, you would be helping with the problem of disposal of such "waste".
OH OH-gotta go. I think the FBI is at my door!
I bought weights from Dicks Sporting goods that are made for tents. They worked very well in my last show - small gusts of wind. I was also able to stake into the ground. I have also used water jugs secured to the legs of the tent.
I usually find a dose of 200 mics of purple owsley heavy enough.
Thank you for all your answers. I ended up going with PVC pipe about 6 inch round and 3 feet tall. They are filled with sand and some water then caped with a hook on one side. The last show I was at it worked well.

Wendy
I actually saw competition for the orange buckets last season... 50 gallon blue plastic drums filled with water, right in front of the booth... bird baths.... shower water for desperate campers at the end of a hot day?

Greg Heihn said:
As long as you are asking I'll share my secret! John Deere tractor weights! YEP. By cracky, thats the classy way to weight down your tent.
The only drawback is, depending of course on where you are, the distinct possibility that they could be stolen! Even before one steals your art work.
Had many comments on those weights and even some drooling from patrons.
Now I use the Trimline bag weights about 40 or so #'s each. In the winter you can dump them out for traction if needed.
But the really CLASSY way to weight down your tent is with bright orange 5 gal buckets strapped to the tent with bright yellow straps. Filled of course with sand. When placed at the front corners of the tent-why its like a neon sign! An attractant for the buying public! And they can put out their ciggs in them before they enter to purchase.
Reston actually rented those the year I did it.  I had already ordered 2 and my neighbor asked if I wanted to share an additional one.  Then she wasn't able to make the show.  So I had 3 50 gallon drums filled with water attached to my tent.  That tent didn't budge!
Actually I have had good luck with EZ weights. You can find them at EZweight.com. They are made by an artist in Rapid City. They are essentially square pvc tubes (about 5" x 5" x 4' tall .. aprox) They have grooves for wooden clamps that attatch to your booth corners on the bottom, middle and top. There is a large screw-in nut on the top that you screw open and fill the tube with water, then empty after the show and haul empty pvc home. I have been one of few tents left standing in bad storms with just these weights clamped on, something about the weight atatched to the legs of the tent make the whole thing more stable in bad wind.

dawn rasmussen said:
I actually saw competition for the orange buckets last season... 50 gallon blue plastic drums filled with water, right in front of the booth... bird baths.... shower water for desperate campers at the end of a hot day?

Greg Heihn said:
As long as you are asking I'll share my secret! John Deere tractor weights! YEP. By cracky, thats the classy way to weight down your tent.
The only drawback is, depending of course on where you are, the distinct possibility that they could be stolen! Even before one steals your art work.
Now I use the Trimline bag weights about 40 or so #'s each. In the winter you can dump them out for traction if needed.
But the really CLASSY way to weight down your tent is with bright orange 5 gal buckets strapped to the tent with bright yellow straps. Filled of course with sand. When placed at the front corners of the tent-why its like a neon sign! An attractant for the buying public! And they can put out their ciggs in them before they enter to purchase.
Dawn, I tried that url and couldn't find anything. Could you check that site address?

dawn rasmussen said:
Actually I have had good luck with EZ weights. You can find them at EZweight.com. They are made by an artist in Rapid City. They are essentially square pvc tubes (about 5" x 5" x 4' tall .. aprox) They have grooves for wooden clamps that attatch to your booth corners on the bottom, middle and top. There is a large screw-in nut on the top that you screw open and fill the tube with water, then empty after the show and haul empty pvc home. I have been one of few tents left standing in bad storms with just these weights clamped on, something about the weight atatched to the legs of the tent make the whole thing more stable in bad wind.

dawn rasmussen said:

Greg Heihn said:

I was just going to chime in about the EZ weights... I originally bought them several years ago because I had an EZ up but knew I was going to "upgrade" to a Light Dome or Trimline in the next season or so, and the "clamps" that held the weights to the poles were suppose to fit either the square or round 1" legs.  My biggest complaint about these weights are the clamps, then.  They sort of fit the round poles, but not great.  And, they are made of wood and after several years of use, they have split (The wood would swell greatly in humid situations, so it was a bear and a half getting them out of the slots at the end of a particularly damp weekend!), the screw holes are stripped, and they are essentially useless.  I was told I could buy another set of clamps for all the weights, but they just took SO LONG to get set up that I just gave up.  For something entitled "EZ", I found I was spending a lot of time messing with them during set-up/tear-down!  I'm not looking at other weight systems for the future...

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service