What kind of weights does your tent have?

Hi. I’m looking for weights to add to my tent. What do you use and how many pounds are they. Also do you know where to buy them or make them. I was thinking of getting PVC pipe ,filling it with cement and a hook to hang it. Please let me know. Thanks.
Wendy

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I received my Eaton Canopy weights a couple of shows ago and I have been very happy with them.  They work fine with the sta-bars and propanels.  I had to set the sta-bars a little higher than normal.  I got four sets for a total of 60 pounds on each leg.

• Dear Wendy,

Go to the local camping/ outdoor store. Call first to see if they have this item before you waste time and energy.

My husband Dan bought four 100 lb weights of sand in a 3ft high  by 28 inch circumference of heavy weight PVC. The four straps on the weights reach to the top bar of our EZ up. But Dan also uses a heavy snap clamp at the top velcro closure to ensure safety.

Believe me, our store goes no where!

And even I can drag them to their spot!

• I tried PVC weights when I started out a few years ago, but I was only able to manage 35lbs per corner. My booth collapsed a couple times, even with the PVC attached. Since then, I've gone all out:

For rigidity: stabars and upper corner supports for my Light Dome canopy, Propanel support bars and canopy hooks, and a few dozen yards of wraparound velcro to hold the corner panels into the booth.

For weight: I use surplus ammo boxes stacked with plates from an old weight machine. Each box: 7 plates, 10 pounds each = 70 pounds per corner. (And yes, they stay in the living room next to the front door. :)

ammo-box-weights-01.jpg

ammo-box-weights-02.jpg

• Jason, that's a great idea.  I just made my pvc weights a couple of months ago, and they work great, but the ammo can idea makes a LOT of sense.  Where'd you run across the weights at?

• The boxes I bought from a local farm & ranch store (Atwoods), and I found the plates at a surplus auction at my university. Scrap metal junkyards would probably have them too. The biggest surprise was finding out how snug the plates fit in the boxes. Seemed to be made for each other!

• Cool.  I'll keep an eye out for the plates.  If I turn any up, then the ammo cans won't be an issue at all.  With a big gun show every month or so in San Antonio, ammo cans abound. :)

Thanks!

• I used 24" X 4" PVC filled with the lead weights that are intended for use in balancing tires. You can get an unlimited supply of them from tire installers (Goodyear).  I poured in a few weights, packed them as well as I could, then encased them in a soupy cement mixture.  Each weight is approximately 60 lbs.

• Right now the EZ-UPs that are sold in SAMs have addition - steel plates, that fit over the heels of the poles - so you can anchor the tent with more stakes or put extra weight on top of them.

• Currently I am using water bottles that hold 5 gallons of water, about 40 lbs.  I have had issues finding water to fill them - actually a friend who helped me set up a lot said "if you don't bring these filled I'm not going to help you anymore" as he leaned into a lake to fill them.  I dump them when I'm not going to have shows for a couple months but keep them filled most of the time.  If I make enough money this show I'm going to get the Eaton canopy weights.  The water bottles work great but don't look so great.

If you're going to use cinder blocks please don't leave them at the show!  Who do you think picks them up afterward.?  It's very unprofessional.

• I have researched the weight of water.  Each gallon weighs in at 11 pounds.  After my show here in NE Kansas on April 13 (the day/night we had 85-100 tornadoes and winds were horrible), I am adding 5-7 gallon water jugs on each corner in addition to my 60 lbs on each of my "feet".  with wind gusts up to 50 mph I found out that 60 lbs wasn't quite enough.  We were still hanging on to the tent to keep in it place.   

This reply was deleted.