What is your average sale?

I was just reading the post “Doing the number game” and didn’t want to hijack the post.  I just was wondering if any of you would be willing to share your average sale amount.  Mine is $50 and has been consistent with most of the shows I have been doing over the years.  Now I know that may sound low to most of you.  I don’t do a lot of show a year, but have been doing them for a long time. 

I do shows to sell what I make and be face to face with people.

So, just wondered if you would be willing to share…

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would say:

Average sale: around $180

mean sale: $85

best selling item: $45

• My average sale now is $138. Ive come up with an interesting way to do my business that works for ME. Most of my lowest end work is $39. I offer a BUY TWO GET ONE FREEE special at shows, plus I do framing while they wait for another $20 per piece , which ends up to be 138 plus tax. Almost every one of my customers does this 'special' and it is a win/win situation for all. I used to have a lower end $12 'greeting card' size but it wasnt worth my time or effort to offer that price point any longer.
  • I track 4 primary metrics:  Avg sales ($)/show, $/item,  $/customer and items/customer. I won't share my $/show, but the $/item is $89, the $/customer is $130, and items/customer is 1.46.

For my first full year (2009), my averages were $42, $65, and 1.6, respectively. So I'm doing double the business I was three years ago.

My matted 11x14 and 16x20 prints sell for the same prices they did then.  But I've dumped low-profit notecards and 8x10 mat sizes and increased the number, size and price of my high-ticket items. My median price for works on my display walls was $225 back then; it's about $395 now. 

I've also upgraded my display. 

• Thanks for the information Geoff.  I have also done what you have over the years, eliminating some of the lower cost items. In my case some that are more trouble than they are worth making.  Always a learning process.

I would never ask anyone to revel there total show $, it’s none of my business. 

I do appreciate you showing the other information.  I do keep track of number of items per sale and number of purchases, then do a comparison at the end of the year. Like Richard, I look to eliminate shows were my things just don’t sell well. I also keep an eye on what people are buying at shows, helps to understand the area. 

I really appreciate everyone’s input. 

• Well mine is even lower $40, but it's all relative. Working in clay my monetary out put for supplies is a lot lower that most people. So the lower price point doesn't effect my bottom line.

• In the other post, someone stated their average sale was $5 - $6, but the counted on $3k per show.  That translates into a lot of $5 items.  It just made me wonder what the average sale was for others. 
      I know it is all relative to what you are selling.  It made me wonder how many other even look at this number.  As I said, if I know a show in the past has been good for selling the little things I will plan on taking more of them and vice- versa. 

• $5 - $6  sounds like a lot of mind numbing work or no work aka buy/sell.

• This is a tough question. I'm not sure the answers will mean much if your price points vary a lot. Perhaps the median sale is a better gauge. Also, if you look at your best 2 or 3 sales at every show, you may notice that they account for 3/4 of the money made; maybe more. It's rare for me to make all of my money off of the little stuff.

This might help answer your question better: My 3 best price points for making money are: $89 or 2 for $159. $295, 2 for $495, 4 for $900. $795 or 2 for $1,395. I also sell inexpensive prints of my big pieces. The prints come in 3 sizes and range from $15-$70. Like the originals, the smaller print sizes outsell the bigger ones in total units sold, but make me less money overall.

• Chris,interesting. My highest average single show was $84 but at the show with the lowest gross and one that get eliminated for next year. It pays to crunch the numbers.
  • 2011 $61 for 9 shows
    2012 $74 for 6 shows
    Not that great as a stand alone statistic, but it can show you longer term trends. It is one of several I track collectively and individually.
This reply was deleted.