I only attend about 4 local art fairs per year, but I send artwork (usually 3-6 pieces) to various group or solo exhibits about 8-12 times per year.

This past weekend I delivered a piece of artwork for a local exhibit. In looking at the "fine" print I saw that the art center gets 40% of any sales. ( may have seen it in the CFA, but probably forgot) My usual price for the artwork I took is $200 - and seem to sell well at art fairs. Because of the 40% commission I raised the price to $275. That's $110 to the art center. I'm used to seeing 20%-35% commissions - which I'm okay with. But to me, 40% just seems over the top.

I'm starting to think for that kind of commission I may be better off putting money into some sort of direct marketing or other digital media. Just as an example, I could buy a whole lot of Google ad words for less money, or some other method.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Hal

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am a veteran (35+ years) of large sales in other industries to a worldwide audience. Some of the business practices do not translate to well to the art consumer purchase, some do. I am only in my 2nd year of art shows, I have done perhaps a dozen or so, so I am still a newbee at this, but here goes

One of the best suggestions comes from Cliff at the Park City show, a master wood turner who often sells out everything he brings. If he is going to take on a gallery, then he makes them buy a few pieces outright, up front, at a 40% discount, then will consign enough pieces to them so that they can have a full display. and those go at 20%-25% commission,

Myself, I am selling at low prices considering how much time each of pieces takes (50-90 hours). What form of sale do I want ? What do I want out of it, artistic exposure, artistic feedback, interesting conversations, money, what do I want? Other things being equal, usually the money is the last on that list. So, since I am not interested in a pure monetary sale, then an on-line sale, and a gallery sale, are lowest on the list. compared to doing an art show. 

My next show is a museum show, i.e.e, no selling. It runs for two months; I am only going to get minimal conversations there, as I am only going to hang the pieces, then take them down later. I would not do this during the summer, need all of my pieces for shows, but since they would just be sitting in a box in my studio, might as well have people looking at them. That and the show is local (45 minutes away).

So I guess it depends on what you want out of it. Just money, you can cover much more ground on-line and by having your work in multiple places. Interaction with people? that is more one on one

• This is pretty much what I agree with. I have also placed pieces with museums for short and long term exposure. Museum story: I built a fancy silver mounted saddle for myself ($9,800) in 1996. By the time they returned it to me in 2016, my horse had to be put down and I decided I was too old for hip or shoulder injuries/replacements. So now I am the saddle maker with a saddle and no horse to put it on. The museum exposure did generate business for me.

• I agree with you that 40% is too high. I wonder sometimes if "operating expenses" is not just another term for greed. My work typically sells for similar prices as yours so any upfront fees for showing and displaying the artwork eats up so much that I rarely profit at all!

I went down to only two shows this past summer and barely covered expenses. I've been told that I'm wasting money on rental transportation to shows but owning any vehicle for transport is also expensive in terms of maintenance and insurance.

I started to sign up at art sale sites but the thumbnail upload requirements are different in every site and it was just too much effort to try and keep track of each site's requirements and procedures.

• 40%, what about 50%?  That means that they're making more money for it than the artist is.  We're the ones investing in materials, matting, framing, not to mention time and imagination.  The gallery's investment is the same whether you're in there or not.  If they can't stay in business taking 30% from every artist they represent (which used to be the normal take) then maybe they shouldn't be in business.

• I am a strong believer in keeping your price the same wherever you sell it. It is important to remember that even when you sell your own work you had expenses to sell it- booth fee, travel expenses etc. Sure it is hopefully not 50% but you also have a lot indirect expenses like your time to drive there and be at the show. Galleries have A LOT of expenses and personally I have never seen a gallery last more than a few years with commissions less than 40%. I do a lot of juried gallery shows on top of art fairs not for the sales but more for the exposure. I have had a lot of great things come out of these shows- teaching classes, solo shows and commissions. Ever once in awhile a piece sells or wins an award. To me it is worth it but if you aren't seeing the return it might not be for you.
    • The woman with the big western store was retailing my wholesale priced work at 100% mark up. I kept up with that as the market bore it, but for my returning studio clients, I just gave them a "discount" down to my normal price and "Dick was a great guy to do business with", and I didn't loose any money.

• I dealt with a gallery that approached me (fine craft, leather). The lesson learned is your stuff won't sell unless the sales staff steers clients to your work and understands it. Sent some friends to gallery to observe and report back. Also, I added their % to my price as I am not willing to work for less. They were taking 50%. I had much better return by consigning utility leather goods to tack and saddlery stores. I set retail price and store got 20%. I also offered them wholesale at 33%. I still made money as they understood my work and the higher quality. I only have one consignment dealer nearby now as I am busy with other stuff. I had one store for about 5 years that did a booming business with sales of tack, saddles and referrals for custom chaps etc. We parted ways when she put in a factory line and they required an initial purchase of $10K of their saddles and tack. There wasn't much room for my stuff after that. They sold out a couple years later and by then I was into doing art shows. If there is a moral, business environments are always changing and you aphave to adapt.
    Like Greg Little, the shows Jean and I do are in resort areas in Colorado and WY. They are mini vacations and get always for us that are 100% tax write offs. Plus they are profitable, if you keep up on my reviews during the summer.
  • 35-40% commission seems to be the standard in my area (Wisconsin) and I've seen as high as 50%.  I always raise my prices to offset the cost.  I put my pieces "on hold" on my website until it is sold or returned from the exhibit.

• Definitely raise the price. I stopped doing these things. First you have to pay to apply, then you have to pay for shipping, and they don't usually sell anything anyway. The commissions are getting outrageous. Sometimes they want 50%. That means they're making more than the artist!
  • The negative of buying words from Google is that sales are not guaranteed. No sales will not equate to a refund from Google or any other form of advertising. Galleries and stores want their percentage...but if a piece does not sell you can obviously get your work back and try a different location os show.

Gallery percentages are high, and even though they provide an outlet I find it hard to have the price I sell for listed on my website and then have a higher price at a gallery.

We only do shows now, and even though we get 100% of the sales... the expenses related to doing the show add up. I really enjoy being in my shop working, however the shows are a welcome break and it gives my wife and I a chance to get out and have fun.

This reply was deleted.