Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

I'm going to be doing my first ever arts festival memorial day weekend (Dallas Artfest...which from what I've read on here hasn't been a great show for some people...hopefully it will be a good learning experience at least?) Anyway, I had been assuming I would pack up all my paintings (I don't have anything super huge) and take them with me back to my hotel room every night--but from reading some posts on here it sounds like people just leave all their art in their tent at night? Probably a stupid question but would it be way over-protective of me to pack them up every night?

Views: 899

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Morian, you might check out taking some patio blocks and placing those on the ground to raise the walls up off the ground by about 4-6 inches. The problem you've got here is that you may take the walls down at night, but what happens during the day if it rains heavily? Paint them white to match so they're not terribly conspicuous. As an extra bonus, you could get a concrete drill bit and put a hole in the corners and run a bolt through them and anchor the tent legs to them for some extra weight.
thanks, I'm going to try that!

Mother Nature, bless her little heart, is your biggest worry.

Get those panels offa the ground. Paint em with outdoor paint. Ditch the cardboard box=sponge.

And it you have an easy-up it will pool rain like its saving it for a drought. Look at some of the fixes to stop this. (Or better yet, get rid of it.) Also use weights! We had 45lbs on each leg of our dome when a microburst sent it a flying in Des Moines. We're upping that to 100lbs and! we're cross tying each wall.

As for drunks, cars, fighting homeless.....I think its sorta like lightening. It doesn't happen often. 

C

Joe;

I was at a show, Arts on Main Street, in Elkhart, IN about 15 years ago when a drunk, who was a prominent local businessman, stumbled out of a bar, tripped at the curb and went headlong into a potters tent, knocking over shelving, breaking pieces, and making enough noise to wake the dead. The police security was there and nabbed his butt immediately, and took him down to jail. The potter shows up next morning, and is in a state of shock when he sees his booth. 50% of his stock is wiped out. The organizers show up a few minutes later, tell him the police have the culprit, he's in jail, and isn't going to be released until he pays for the damage :-) The artist goes through the inventory, totals up the damage which was around $3000 plus as I recall. The now sober culprit is brought down, as the jail was just a few blocks away, pays the bill with a sour look, and the policeman tells him to not even think about trying to cancel the check. The shards have all been swept up and are in several large boxes. The artist, in all innocence asks if he wants the boxes, and is answered with a snarl and told to keep the damned stuff. The next part of the story is priceless ;-) Toward the end of the day, a customer wanders in and sees the boxes of broken pottery. She asks if they are for sale, and the artist ponders it a moment, and says yes. The customer had a patio project in mind and wanted the shards to press into wet concrete. So the potter sold the same work twice :-)

Robert.... that's a great story! That's the art Gods at work. :)

Kathy

I didn't mean to really scare anyone new to the biz, but weather, as the others have said, is our main culprit.  I've been next to too many newbies who, when asked if they have weights, or protective sides, or tarps or some such to protect their booth and artwork, always, repeat always, look up at the clear blue sky and say, "The weather doesn't look that bad; there's nothing to worry about."  And that's the opening scene to Wizard of OZ!
Here's an article with picture on one of my resource web sites:
http://artshowphoto.com/pages/supporting-the-roof.htm

Larry Berman
http://BermanGraphics.com
412-401-8100
For a while the EZ-Ups had a bolt hole in the middle of the eave where it would go into the frame. That would take up tension and stretch the top taut and water wouldn't puddle. problem was that the top wouldn't come off and it make it nigh impossible to fold up the frame and place in the bag with the canopy attached. So many folks didn't attach it, and the puddling became worse. I found that if snugged the corners way down as far as you could that would prevent puddling except under really bad conditions. When I went with the John Mee canopy, the snap connectors would take the slack out and the fabric had enough extra to form a channel between the scissor frames and the water would drain right off. Never had a problem with puddling after getting the Mee canopy.
thanks everyone for all your replies/advice! I'm hoping if I follow it all and am super prepared, the weather will be prefect :)

Once again, a great informative discussion. The 'been there, done that' tips shared by this community are amazing. I was planning to take all my paintings down and with me each night. Now I'm put to work more energy into the weatherproofing my display.

Sincere Thanks!

This looks much more low-tech than drilling holes into the metal frame work of the tent frame. Thanks Lorie!

ooo...I also like how you've hung your paintings

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service