What category am I?

Hopefully I selected the correct discussion. Feel free to move if this is the wrong discussion. Thanks!

We have decided to try some of the "better" art fairs. We've been doing local craft shows. Looking thought the applications we are undecided which category to select. Wood or Mixed Media 3D.

The main medium is wood. We apply an electrical treatment to the wood to create the designs then the piece is stained and finished. We have multiple sizes and various types of wood.

I've attached a couple of photos. Thoughts?

929.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All of your comments have been very helpful. It's a bit confusing reading the variety of information out there. My take away is short and succinct about the process. Save the rest for your bio. 

Thank you all so much!

• I suggest you save the rest for the round file. A biography is information about you and your experience. Not philosophical stuff at all. GO GET 'EM!

• Sherry,

Click on this link for some helpful info to help you get started here on this site:

http://www.artfairinsiders.com/page/faqs

Hope that helps you to get acclimated here.

• I see wood category. And that is good-because you have something different!

• It comes across as the wood category. Anything else might confuse the jurors. Be clear in your artist statement. I can help with that if you want.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• Thank you! Are there guidelines somewhere on the site for writing the artist statement? Major newbie lol.

• No but you need at least two artist statements to describe your work to the jurors. One not more than 100 characters and one a little longer, maybe not more than 300 characters. Really important for the shows that project the images because those statements have to be limited and are read to the jurors during a projection jury.

Larry Berman

• I had to put my writers cap on for this. That's my husbands job lol. Here's what I've come up with.

We capture the elements of wood and fire to create striking abstract art that invokes the earth’s spirit.

We utilize high voltage electricity to “shock” raw wood which simulates the effects of lightening to create striking works of art that metaphorically represent the possibility for positive, significant transformation. There is no “right” way to view our art; every viewer sees a different image.

• A few things I don't understand. What is earth's spirit. what is positive significant transformation. None of those terms mean anything in describing to a jury how you create your art. Tell me more about how the work is created.

Larry Berman

• This is precisely what I have been arguing with you and others about for so long, Larry. You asked for an "artist statement" and that's what she provided. Zapplication asks for a "description of material and technique." I bet if you had asked her for that, she wouldn't have mentioned "earth's spirit" and the other art speak hullabaloo.

YOU NEED A DESCRIPTION OF MATERIAL AND TECHNIQUE. SOME SHOWS ONLY ALLOW 100 CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS AND OTHERS ALLOW 200, 500, AND EVEN 1000 (HEAVEN FIRBID!)

Write pertinent information and nothing superfluous. Nothing philosophical, unless it is pertinent.

Hugs from Wyoming,

Barrie

This reply was deleted.