What 2D Sizes Sell Best for YOU?

Greetings All,

I understand there is not a solid answer to this question and everyone is different.  My question is not to get a universal answer but to understand what sizes work for YOU and your 2D art work at Art Festivals.   Many of you have years of experience, you have tried it all and you have now secured a strategy for selling.  I that larger 2D pieces (24x36, 36x48 and above) go for more money, but have you found any size balance that moves better?  I ask because the objective is to sell art, not to be a museum.

Currently my framed 20x30's (pictured) seem to be the sweet spot for me.  I'm also offering framed 20x20's and 20x40's.  In addition, I'm doing matted 12x18's for individual prints.  Just trying to see what is working for everyone else.

I've really enjoyed the discussions on this site lately as I am in my first year of officially doing Art Festivals.  Thanks in advance.

Installed392.jpg

BonnerFineArt_Pic2.jpg

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey, Gerome.

For what it's worth... I've been doing art fairs for several decades, but only local to my state of MO. Right now I'm settled in on 20x30, 24x36, and a few 32x48 inch canvas wraps. I also show some on metal. 16x24s don't sell for me. I also sell prints - 8x12 on 11x14 paper (which creates a mat effect so patrons can drop it into a frame with no mat if they desire.)

I think my prices are comparable to yours. 

I also exhibit nationally and internationally, for specific exhibition venues, but my prices are higher for those venues and my work usually sells out.

Hope this helps.

-Hal

• I've only been doing shows for 5 years... 2019 will be 6. Photography on canvas.

I ran with 24x30's on the wall for the first 2 years and felt like i did well and had consistent sales. I'd sell anywhere between 4-6 of the 24x30's at most 2 day weekend shows. There were occasional shows where I'd sell 8 or 9 but those were 3-4 day major shows. Price point $300 my first year and $325 my 2nd. 

When I started the 3rd year I went to 32x40's on my big back wall and those sold decent also. I might sell 3-4 of those during decent a 2 day show. Sometimes less. Of course I went larger with my most powerful images but 3-4 seems to be closer to the average (last year). Once and a while 2-3. Price point $450. Along with the 40's, I might sell a 2-3 30's as well that weekend. Sometimes less.

It's a tough balance for me though... I work a 60-65hr/week day job (mon-fri) and if i price myself too low, I'll be scrambling to replenish my work and spend every day after work printing, spraying and wrapping for my next show. I'm good charging a little more for my work and not selling quite as much so I'm not completely burning myself out every week. If I price for volume, I'll end up running myself down and my wife will divorce me lol.

8x10" and 16x20" prints in my bins. One day I'll sell all 8x10's and no 16x20's and the next all 16x20's and no 8x10's. Some days it's a 50/50 mix. Unpredictable.

1110318741?profile=RESIZE_710x

• If you don't mind me asking, what are the prices of your 8"x10" prints you offer during shows?

• The past few years i’ve been doing $25 or 2 for $40

This year i’m just doing a flat $20

I’ve done a flat $20 before I was at $25 and they seemed to move a lot better. It must be that $20 bill magic. A psychological thing probably.

• These are great replies and I so APPRECIATE the input.  I'm really thinking now about my 2019 approach.  I will indeed add the 8x10 matted prints also.

• 8x10s are nice for people who "dont want to" or "cant" pull out a $50 or a few hundred. 

The average person is much more willing to separate with a $20 bill. 

Also... Like Don above, my laptop, PC and iphone wont let me open your images :/

• Hello Gerome,

For some reason I can not open your file so I could not see your work,,,but no matter.

I am a wildlife artist, working in acrylics and do some 20 shows a year. To put it mildly I paint a lot (am rather manic) In most shows I sell 10-15 5x7's, 8-12 8x10's and 11x14's, 4-5 16x20's and 1 or 2 larger pieces per show(my largest piece is usually 24x48 and I sell an original every 4-5 shows. People seem to love the small sized ones..they can hold it in their hand, and many buy several at once. All are original, and while I to return to many of the same themes each new piece is different and unique. Sample is an 8x10

973203343?profile=RESIZE_710x

• If you don't mind me asking, what are the prices of your 8"x10" prints you offer during shows?

• I also do animal art but my originals are all larger and used to sell but the last 4 years my sales have been terrible, only my 11 x 14" prints have sold barely enough to keep going. What are best selling sizes of paintings and what are the price points that sell best? I want to make this work again and not throw in the towel. 

This reply was deleted.