Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

I've been checking this and other platforms for any indication as to what people's thoughts might be on this topic.  So far, no one has even mentioned the subject which, will have an enormous impact on us all.

So, here's the question.  How many of you are going to wait until the last minute to decide, and how many have already made up their minds?  Seeing as how there is a lot of time, energy, effort, and money involved, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this matter.

As for me, I'm still deciding if the risk is worth the reward.

March 16

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the artists that responded, as well as the ones who read my question.  Since I initially wrote my query, the very point of it has become mute.  We are no longer facing a decision as to whether we wait or not.  States, in many cases, have made that decision for us.  They have initiated bans on large gatherings, ordered that bars be closed, restaurants will be required to offer only takeout service. We are far from being alone in this.  In the next few months, this decease will affect virtually every walk of life.  The question now seems to be one of, not for how long, but for how much!

There are a considerable number of shows who still feel that because their shows are later in the season, that they will hold their shows regardless, that this pandemic will have played itself out. This may be true, though the fear that has arisen will still be there. Combine this with the effects of a catastrophic downturn in the stock market, which, economists are now saying, may bring about a recession.   I have a show in upstate New York scheduled for the beginning of June that has stated that they will proceed as planned. Other shows have chosen to postpone their event. While this might work out well for them, it does little for the artists who have assembled their schedule. Changes in time, dates, distance, and logistics can bring about a less than stellar result.

As we stand now, we are in artistic limbo, a limbo where no one can give us workable answers as to when it will end.  Hopefully, we will all come through this.  One can only imagine on a creative level, how this will affect not only the type, style, and depth of our work but our reasons for doing it.

Raoul

Views: 2721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really, you bought cheaper dog food for your dog?  Your dog would have to catch squirrels at my house to eat, I'm not sharing my dog food!

Yeah, we're all going to have to make sacrifices and, I suppose, tighten our belts.  I was raised by parents that grew up during the Great Depression, my mother is still going strong at 95.  They taught me a lot about making do, which I hated, and getting by with less.  I'll see if I can't use what I've been taught, but I'm still not sharing my dog food.

LOL. If I have to suffer he suffers with me. He'll eat it and he will like it. If I end up having to live on the street he is coming with me as well. (:

That's animal cruelty!  

The first of our 2 March shows has been postponed to November, waiting to hear about the second.

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service