I've been checking this and other platforms for any indication as to what people's thoughts might be on this topic.  So far, no one has even mentioned the subject which, will have an enormous impact on us all.

So, here's the question.  How many of you are going to wait until the last minute to decide, and how many have already made up their minds?  Seeing as how there is a lot of time, energy, effort, and money involved, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this matter.

As for me, I'm still deciding if the risk is worth the reward.

March 16

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the artists that responded, as well as the ones who read my question.  Since I initially wrote my query, the very point of it has become mute.  We are no longer facing a decision as to whether we wait or not.  States, in many cases, have made that decision for us.  They have initiated bans on large gatherings, ordered that bars be closed, restaurants will be required to offer only takeout service. We are far from being alone in this.  In the next few months, this decease will affect virtually every walk of life.  The question now seems to be one of, not for how long, but for how much!

There are a considerable number of shows who still feel that because their shows are later in the season, that they will hold their shows regardless, that this pandemic will have played itself out. This may be true, though the fear that has arisen will still be there. Combine this with the effects of a catastrophic downturn in the stock market, which, economists are now saying, may bring about a recession.   I have a show in upstate New York scheduled for the beginning of June that has stated that they will proceed as planned. Other shows have chosen to postpone their event. While this might work out well for them, it does little for the artists who have assembled their schedule. Changes in time, dates, distance, and logistics can bring about a less than stellar result.

As we stand now, we are in artistic limbo, a limbo where no one can give us workable answers as to when it will end.  Hopefully, we will all come through this.  One can only imagine on a creative level, how this will affect not only the type, style, and depth of our work but our reasons for doing it.

Raoul

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The first of our 2 March shows has been postponed to November, waiting to hear about the second.

• As of last week, I was praying my March and April shows don't get canceled. As of today I have changed my tune and am no longer poo-pooing this crisis. Not so much worried about getting the virus, well I am a little, but I think it would be irresponsible for shows NOT to cancel based on what the experts are recommending in regards to crowds. The fact is when the Government tells people not to go to events and when major sporting events cancel that a big deal. A lot of money is involved and they don't take canceling sporting events lightly. Even if shows don't cancel I have to think about the 12-hour drive, fees etc and my time at the show and getting ready for the shows, just to hope I make my booth fee back.  To hope a show doesn't cancel doesn't make sense to me, the fact is people are just not going to come. Many don't come when its raining and rain isn't a health issue and the ones that do I wonder how much they will spend. Were not only dealing with the virus but the economy as well. My apologies if I sound pessimistic, its just my opinion and Im sure this will pass but not attending a few shows while this settles down might not be the worse thing especially if we are going to nip this virus in the bud. I just hope for all of us the promoters who are compassionate to artist who support their shows year after year return or credit our fees. Most of us live on this income and personally, this will be a major burden on my finances but it is out of my control. Im just working on a budget that will get me through the next few months like working with my creditors to see what options I have for deferring loans etc. Even downgraded my dogs food to a cheaper brand. My hope is that the virus will go away sooner if everyone follows the guidelines and that includes canceling events like craft shows. This is a good time to work on Arts/Crafts for the Fall Shows as well.  Stay safe everyone. We will all get through this and better times are ahead!

• Really, you bought cheaper dog food for your dog?  Your dog would have to catch squirrels at my house to eat, I'm not sharing my dog food!

Yeah, we're all going to have to make sacrifices and, I suppose, tighten our belts.  I was raised by parents that grew up during the Great Depression, my mother is still going strong at 95.  They taught me a lot about making do, which I hated, and getting by with less.  I'll see if I can't use what I've been taught, but I'm still not sharing my dog food.

• LOL. If I have to suffer he suffers with me. He'll eat it and he will like it. If I end up having to live on the street he is coming with me as well. (:

• That's animal cruelty!  

• Just saw from their website that the Winter Park Festival has been cancelled.  I haven’t yet heard from them directly.

• I previously posted about choosing not to exhibit at Vero Beach this weekend (March 14-15), my 6th out of eight art fairs I had scheduled for Florida this winter. My 7th show was to be Naples Downtown, but I just got an email that they cancelled the show for health reasons. They also said to "stay tuned" because they were putting together some kind of online art fair thing so that we could stay in touch with our customers (sic). I suspect that this online thing means we will not be getting a refund. Still waiting to hear if the Gainsville show (my 8th scheduled show in Florida) will be cancelled or not.

• The Circle of Art in Borrego Springs, CA just cancelled their show this weekend because of health guidlines re the virus going around. I don't blame them. This show is a major fundraiser for their student scholarship program BASIC. I am donating my booth fees to their cause. This is a real bummer because it is always such a beautifull show and so many people come for the show in the desert - yet this year I think many will be staying home and not spending because of the stock market killing us all.

• I'll be interested in learning what will happen this weekend.  We have shows scheduled the next 2 weekends.  We are planning on being on hand if they happen.  Will let you know how it turns out.

This reply was deleted.