Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

I'm hopping on the tech bandwagon and looking into the credit card swipers that plug right into your usb port, as I have mobile broadband on my Mac.  Paypal is advertising their version, and I already accept Paypal on my website, just wondering if anyone has tried them out as a merchant service provider.  They're advertising a "$30 a month flat fee, one flat % rate for all cards" which sounds...well, I'm not sure.  I've gone through 2 merchant service providers, I'm really annoyed by the way I have to be RIGHT ON TOP of every statement because they "slip up" on some part of our contract, it seems.  Anyone try them?

Views: 650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robin, just FYI, I think this concern about encryption has been mentioned on another thread here, check around, I think it's been debunked.  Square does not represent a threat to security because the CC#s are never stored on your phone.  Cell phone signals are secure, versus a possibly compromised Wifi connection.  Goes beyond my technological ken, but I think the ones pushing hysteria are the merchant providers (verifone in the URL you listed )

I agree.

Although I still use a terminal, (Nurit 3010) I truly believe the Square type of unit is the future, and the hardware companies like Verifone, Hypercom, Nurit, etc are going to try whatever they can to prevent, or at least slow down their inevitable demise.

Robin - what you are saying about the Square is blatently false.  It does encrypt the data before transmission.  The article you site addresses a different concern.

I wouldn't say "blatently false". On further research I find that the card readers were not encrypted until sometime in the summer of 2011. So cards received before the update are still an issue. Glad they addressed it, though. Maybe I'll get one now.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/29/square-to-add-encryption-to-mobi...

Robin - you should re-read the original issue - the data has ALWAYS been sent encrypted.  What wasn't always encrypted was between the swipe and the transmit.  So, a person who altered their device could skim your credit card data, meaning the person swiping had to be the crook.  So, unless you are a crook, it doesn't matter whether you use an old or new device.  I received my device prior to summer 2011 and all of my customers are perfectly safe since I am not a thief.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have fixed the issue, but the issue was never a reason for you to use or not use the device.

So, I stand by 'blatently false' for your statement of "it doesn't encrypt the data before transmission." 

I have the intuit gopayment and love it.  I also have the iPhone and purchased the Mophie to go with my phone - thus carry my card reader everywhere I go and frees up the audio jack for my stylus.  My last show another vendor had the square and it wouldn't work for them in the building.  I had no problem at all with my gopayment.    I also use Quickbooks for my accounting and when I first purchased the program inutit sent me a free usb card reader.  I haven't called or tried it yet, but I am assuming it would work with my gopayment account and a laptop. 

Just throwing this out there for consideration.

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service