Trimline and Mesh Panels

Yes, I have indeed read all the other posts about tents. I've been at this for days (thank you for all the great information everyone!)

After reading, and reading, and reading, it seems to me that for photography a Trimline tent with mesh panels is going to be my best option.

Does anyone disagree? Does anyone have a Trimline tent and/or mesh panels and are NOT happy with them for any reason?

I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision, since the set-up is not cheap.

Thank you so much!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So... just as I was about to order my new Trimline, I found a used Craft Hut for sale.  I see that a new Craft Hut is $1395! Yikes! Does anyone know why it is so much more expensive than the Trimline? My biggest concern is set-up. It seems the Craft Hut does not have an "Easy Riser" option, or anything of that sort, so setting it up and tearing it down alone might not be an option. ??? Does anyone have experience with a Craft Hut?

• Hi Renee!

What did you decide?  I don't  know if you are still following this thread, however thanks for all the information!  I am leaning toward white mesh walls, just trying to get ideas and feedback.

Rosie

• I didn't read all the answers to your query but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I have a Light Dome canopy and the mesh panels. I specifically bought them at a time when I was going to shows in my 4Runner and didn't have a lot of space to haul stuff. I have the back door option and the french wall. An artist friend did not have the back door and found it inconvenient not to have it, even if only to be able to sit in the back and watch the front on those occasions when you are able, it also helps to be able to go in and out to get inventory on those occasions. The french wall is very nice to be able to gain additional wall space and create a small office in back. I read that you have large pieces. Forget about hanging them on the mesh, it isn't made to support that kind of weight. The panels tend to sag in the middle. You'll have to find some additional hardware that actually will hang from the horizontal poles on top. There are several options for that. I've seen the fabric wall covers that attach to the velcro strips on the mesh panels and personally I think they look drab and lifeless and make the interior of the tent very dark. If your side walls are down, with a white tent, it provides a lot of diffused light on the images. One thing I was not happy about, and only discovered well after I had used them...put everything together right away and make sure the bottoms of the panels are even all across. Two of my panels are crooked so it looks lopsided, one corner being higher than the other. One of the things I don't like about the french door is that it has no connection at the bottom so it tends to flip flop a bit. I think the manufacturers might look at their design about that part. Something I like about the system is that it attaches to the tent cross poles and therefore adds more weight to the tent in addition to the weights that I attach so overall it helps with that concern. Although now  the carpeted systems have introduced a hook at the top of their panels for the same effect.

• Thank you for your 2 cents!! Very helpful thoughts. I was so sure I wanted dark walls - but dark walls might not be such a great idea after all. I certainly don't want my tent looking drab and lifeless. Hmmm.

That's a great suggestion to line up the panels and make sure they're straight. Crooked walls would drive me crazy!

As far as needing additional hardware to hang my larger pieces, do the tent companies sell that hardware, or will I need to get it elsewhere?

What I really need to do is get to some shows and take a look at some of these options first hand!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It helps a lot!

• If you are going with the Trimline they do have "Straphangers" for larger or heavy work:

http://www.flourish.com/mesh_panels_accessories.html

• Perfect! Thanks!

• Talk with Flourish, Renee, of course.  But having used those mesh panels for a long time, unless your work has enormous frames I don't think you'll have any problem hanging without the strap hangers.  The mesh is incredibly sturdy. 

I DO recommend that you tighten the mesh as much as you can, no matter the weight you're hanging.  You do that by simply tightening the bottom straps that attach to the horizontal Stay-Bars. 

• Ahhh, good to hear. Actually, I don't use frames, or therefore, glass - so I should be okay. Mine are on canvas and metal so none of my pieces are super heavy.

I'm going to a show in Hilton Head at the end of the month as an observer and then I'll order my tent and panels. Yay! SO excited! Thanks for all the help.

• Take a look at the strap hangers on the flourish site that Cassius provided. It seems like you should be able to make something similar fairly easily with those flat metal strips with holes every inch or so that you find at hardware stores and bolts and wing nuts . Bending the metal to make the hooks might be an issue...

• I am going into my second year with the Trimline (8') and I am very pleased with it.  The main reason I went with this tent is peace of mind during bad weather.  Last year I was able to continue setting up my art during high winds and major rain.  I was able to do this without any additional weights.  That is a big plus to me.  Hour and a half later the sun was out and people were ready to buy.  I was up and running while a large number of artist were just trying to get their setups in place.  That show alone paid off for the extra cost of the Trimline.

301645342?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

My booth is a work in progress.  I have a couple of awnings.  I have been thinking about the rear door, but I like the ability to use the entire wall.  The center piece on the rear wall is 38" x 57".  The mess walls are easy to transport and setup.  I normally keep the outside walls on so there is no transparency issue.  But it can get very hot inside the tent during the summer.  If I can (no tents behind me) then I roll up the rear wall to let some air in.

I do all setups and take downs alone.  It does take a bit the first time (even if you practice at home).  But it gets easier show after show.  The Easy Riser is a must to be able to do this alone.  Also, I have seen some artists mark their poles with a marker for an easier setup.

This reply was deleted.