Trailers 1 axle or 2 Decisions

I've been looking into getting a trailer, to use for my entire show setups, with the artwork.

My medium is Photography.

Goal is to have EVERYTHING in the trailer. Leave it in there between shows.

Thin king 5x8 or 6x10 might be fine.

Trailer is just for show stuff, not a human lodging (unless I'm feeling extra cheap)

Will mostly pull with an Avalanche (4x4, 7000# tow, factory installed tow system with extra coolers, Very capable vehicle)

I do not believe load / weight capacity would be an issue with my medium.

In research I've been given differing, contrasting opinions.

A) One axle or Two:

I) One axle is less on tolls, less parts wear etc.

II) Two axle... if only one axle and I get a blow out, trailer may flip and destroy artwork., A single flat tire, disables trailer until repaired, whereas two axles allows me to continue to drive it (with tire removed) until I feel like replacing tire.

III) Multiple axle less worry on load balancing.

B) Brakes... to stop or not:

I think having brakes in the trailer is very good idea.

I) To surge or not to surge?

II) Electric brakes that need adjusting or setting each time you change load.

III) Other braking options?

C) Size matters (despite what some say):

I) I would like it to be as small as possible for parking, show maneuverability etc.

II) Currently everything fits into the Avalanche, with a cargo truck cap and midgate down. However expertise in packing has been utilized. Must allow for expansion too.

III) Is walking height important? Is low height to allow for clearance of 7'2" as many parking garages, more important?

D) Tailgate & Doors:

I) I believe the drop down door becoming a ramp would be best. Saves lifting, allows to roll out on carts.

II) Want front door also for flexible access.

III) Have been told front doors might leak (disastrous to photography)

IV) Long tailgate / ramp impedes on space at show setups

E) Just Venting here:

I) roof vent reduces heat, cleaner air.

II) Roof vents WILL eventually leak see disastrous above)

F) Keep it for myself or allow others to "borrow"

I) A boot for the wheel like police use

II) just a hitch lock when it is not attached to vehicle.

III) Don't bother and assume no one likes my art enough to steal the trailer

Just trailers. Not the Sprinter VS Trailer discussion, please.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My comment about "borrow" was a joke about others stealing my trailer. Not meant to imply "loaning" it out.

I've been told the prices down south are significantly less than up north, NJ / PA areas. Has anyone found the price difference significant enough to warrant the extra costs in acquisition?

• We are near the coast in Louisiana.  Dh looked online, and called around, up to about 4 hours away.  (Due to how far south we are, that means east, west and north.)  Prices were not significantly different no matter where he looked.  We also wanted a dealer close to home for any follow up things we might need.  We ended up buying in Thibodaux, LA which is the next town over.

• Thanks, I spoke with a dealer down in GA or FL. They told me it would be so much cheaper to purchase down there. That many people from PA, NY & NJ buy down there, drive for a year, then sell them used up North for the same price they bought them for.

I don't know if that is credible or not.

• I think a lot of them are made in GA, so that would make sense.

• The best part of a trailer is you park it when you get home and don't have to unload anything. 

I started out with a 5x8' trailer with barn doors on the back.  I had a shelf built in on the floor  on one right that I slid my 4-40# PVC tens weights under from behind.  On the shelf were 3 "bumble bee" bins for the tent canvas and associated hardware, as well as a cheap aluminum 4 wheeled cart.  They were lashed in place with a d-rings and cam straps.  On the opposite side was a shelf that the trimline tent poles bags were slid in from the back.  On the shelf were the 9 pro-panels.   Down the center I used ramps and rolled in two big boxes that stored my artwork.  They were 24" wide, 30" tall (with hinged lid) and together 8' long.  Harbor Freight castors with 8" wheels  The best part of the carts was rolling the carts in and out of the tent for setup and takedown. Handle once.  Total trailer weight loaded was about 2200#.  I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel with an exhaust brake.  I hardly know it's there.

As my photography items grew in size, I quickly ran out of space.  I sold the trailer and boxes to another photographer.  He uses mesh panels so the propanel space was used for his larger artwork.

I upgraded to a single axle Haulmark 6x12' with the ramp door.  I built larger wheeled boxes, together they are now 12' long and still run down the center.  Bigger art.  The shelf on the right now has room for 8 weights (but I only carry 4) and 6 of the "bumble bee" totes in two rows of 3. 

Project 1

I may convert my Global Industries 3in1 cart to permanently house the 4 weights horizontally and store the 6 bumblebee's in 2 rows of 3 above the weights on a deck.  The cheap 4 wheeled cart went to the trash for recycling.

Project2

My winter project is to build another cart to minimize handling of the pro panels. Loading, unloading, moving, typically requires handling them 3 times at setup and 3-4 times at takedown.   I now have 9 panels with extenders and 6 more without.   The shelf on the left will be removed and I am hoping to weld the new cart to house the tent poles in bags horizontally on the bottom (load from the side--- Weight adds stability) and then have a platform that stores the propanels horizontally.  (Like a lifetime table cart in the attached picture).  The goal here is to roll them into place and when the tent is up, handle them once at setup and once at takeout.

Project 3.

Build 2 more wheeled carts to replace the propanel print bins.  Setting up the print bins, adding the prints from the boxes and organizing at setup takes to long.  If anybody has a plan they would like to share, please do so.

Total weight is now 3300-3500# which is the max for the trailer gvwr.  The truck barely notices the load.  It's rated to pull 15000# on a bumper and even more as a fifth wheel.

• My comments/advice:

1. The only reason to consider double axles is to handle more weight. If you anticipate going over 3000 pounds GVWR, definitely go for a double axle. Otherwise, save the weight, inefficiency, and cost and go single.
      2. Getting a double axle trailer to avoid having to carry a spare makes no sense. To do that, you would have to keep your payload under what a single axle can carry, and remember that a double axle trailer is significantly heavier than a single axle – so your payload would be significantly less!
      3. I have a 30 year old car which still has its original tires. The tires are not rotten.   That is a myth made up by tire dealers to sell more tires.
      4. I recently installed brakes on my 5x8, and discovered that it is easy to do. I did a report on it for AFI.  Don’t bother with surge brakes (they are really only of interest to boaters and U-Haul) – electric drums are fine.
      5. Unfortunately, the trailers that we most like to use for art shows are the very same trailers that motorcyclists carry their expensive motorcycles around in. When thieves steal our trailers, they think they are stealing a motorcycle. Getting a trailer with a built-in ramp encourages them with that misperception.  Don’t buy a built-in ramp.  Instead, make your own or buy pre-made ramps and store them in the trailer.
      6. Even though my trailer does not allow it, it would be nice to be able to stand up inside the trailer.
      7. For security, I use very heavy duty pad locks, a very thick cable that I take through the wheel and leaf spring (even works with the brakes) or a light pole if convenient, and a hitch lock. The idea is to slow down a thief, require him to use bigger, heavier tools that make more noise, and complicate his life.
      8. I’m on my third roof vent (in 10 years).  They are nice to have, but they make the trailer taller (less clearance).  An internal light is nice to have as well.
      9. You will get used to backing whatever trailer you buy, so do not worry about that.
      • I'll have to figure out what weight is good for me. I never weighed my full setup.

My concerns for the double axle were the flat tire scenario. It wasn't to avoid carrying a spare. It was based upon what I was told about it flipping in a case of blowout, on the highway (I MIGHT drive much faster than I should). As well as being able to continue driving and have the tire corrected when more convenient. I was also told doubles back up easier.

The payload issue is logical. Again, I'll have to calculate weight.

If I go electric brakes I'll likely need a brake controller for the Truck. I'm not sure if it has one built in.

I'm figuring on putting signage on the trailer to advertise my being an Artist and Photography. As much as I believe in my abilities as an artist, I believe Most thieves are not interested in stealing it. However they might think high end camera equipment is inside. It would not be.

However I do have a very expensive motorcycle, hoping they wont know if that is in there :-)

Great idea on the cable through wheel.

Thirty years on the same tires?????? Wow. I put too many miles on to ever get that.

• Same with us - we just bought this set up and hope that it works for us - car and trailer both new (to us) so that we can haul everything to shows.  Did not purchase trailer with brakes, but got all security measures.  it's a 5x8.  We have 20 shows scheduled through Sept. and hope this setup will do the trick.  Still sorting out business personal property insurance for contents at this point, but hopefully we have the right set up to get us around.  I personally would not loan out the trailer due to insurance issues.  We did get a boot, puck lock and hitch lock.  And while we can't stand upright in it, we felt it was enough for us with the side door, venting and back door.  We will bring a dolly to get everything we need to the tent set up spots.  As newbies, we're gleaning most everything from ArtFair insiders (bless you all) and hopefully are making the right decisions!  Good luck! 

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

• The size of trailer you mentioned 5x8,6x10, I'm not sure if it's available with double axle? But I don't think it's necessary for what you will be using it for. Single axle should be fine. If you get brakes for the trailer, you'll need to get the brake controller for your vehicle. Without trailer brakes, you'll need a couple of extra seconds to brake but it really doesn't sound like your trailer will be very heavy? Roof vent is worth it, will help release the heat. Mine never leaked unless I forgot to close. I would get the ramp, easier to roll equipment into trailer. Now, what I would do differently is upgrade the locking mechanism of the doors. Something that can't be cut with bolt cutters. I've had 3-4 break ins without anything ever stolen once the thieves realized what was in there. But they are looking for tools which they will assume you are a contractor. Eventually I just left the trailer unlocked so I wouldn't have to replace parts.

I learned the hard way about overloading a trailer and GVWR. Had 4-5 blown tires on a single axle 7x14 trailer in 2-3 yr period. Never close to flipping over so really shouldn't be an issue for you. One tip on smaller trailer vs. larger trailer is smaller trailers are harder to control in reverse. Greater tendency to move whichever way. Larger heavier trailers you have more control going in reverse. Lastly, I would upgrade the tires to the highest 'ply' you can buy for that particular size tire. So if you go with a single axle, find one that will hold a larger tire. With larger tires, you have a greater chance to find say a "10-ply" tire vs. a cheap 4-ply tire. And of course always have a fresh spare.

• I was considering no spare.

My reasoning: I have roadside assistance coverage. My vehicles all have very good tires. Although they all have spares, I have not used a spare in over 20 years. If the trailer has double axle I would not need a spare while on the road unless I get two flats at the same time. Saves space (which is a premium). as I'm thinking of a triangle  / V front there is not good room for the spare on the outside. A spare is only good for storage a limited time span. when not being used, baking in the sun, they dry rot. Sooo. I was thinking no spare and if I have to buy another tire... while on the road it will be rare and a savings.

My avalanche I've had for 15 years. It still has the original spare. A garage told me DON'T USE IT! Open to opinions, I'm no tire expert.

This reply was deleted.