I posted a different thread here last week about taking too much inventory to an art festival, and it turns I have been. So now I'm looking at purchasing a used 6x12 enclosed trailer and turning it into a mobile art gallery. i.e., go to an art festival, only take about 45 pieces mixed between paper and canvas to the 10x10 tent, but have the trailer parked near by with EVERYTHING else. Over the course of the event we can switch out work with the inventory in the trailer... plus...

If a potential buyer seems genuinely interested in my work, I can offer to show them more art by giving them an secret your of our art trailer. If the organizers are open to the idea I can also have my son stay at the trailer and have his own art gallery there. The trailer I'm looking we would modify with internal lighting, carpet, and french cleats down the outside to hang large art on. I know others have done this.

My ponderance is this: how strange would it be to offer to take someone from the tent to the parking lot to see more art? 

I can also use this trailer to just go park somewhere on a random weekend and have an pop-up art gallery in a parking lot. The city of Fort Worth and Dallas both have mobile vending permits so it's legal (but the city I actually live in, Arlington, does not, maddening). 

MAG.jpg

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Update: after spending 5 months looking at trailers I finally decided that my SUV just wasnt powerful enough to tow the size trailer I'd need for a walk-in trailer (7x16x7 at least) and the tall ones are just not common, so I opted instead for a smaller/nice trailer to transport art. I can still hit a parking lot on a weekend and set-up, just not a walk-in. So now I have different question: I plan on storing upwards of 50 canvas pieces in the trailer, sized from 36x36 and up, what is the easiest way to keep the art from sticking to each other? I've had this problem before and will have it even more now. I've tried cardboard corners but they are a bit of hassle to keep on. I also tried wrapping the top with craft paper from a roll, but its hard to use the same paper more than once. Any one have a good solution? I have installed 2 rows of vertical dividers inside so the art can't lean far, but that won't help pieces touching each other

• If you are still looking at buying the trailer, stay away from Arising Industries trailers. **legal disclaimer** In my opinion (although I have lots of evidence) they are disreputable, will lie, cheat and not honor their warranties, shady workmanship. First hand experience.

• I got lucky and got a nice preowned Pace American trailer with just 600 miles on it, and the inside was finished out in ash paneling by a cabinet company. It's even got a drip rail down the sides that I can hang canvas art on with french cleats. I installed vertical dividers this last weekend so art can't fall over. Now if I can figure out the best way to get some ventilation into for our hot Texas Summers I'll be good to go. If I sell a lot of art this summer I'll upgrade to much larger one, I underestimated would I can tow with a V8 Sequoia. 

• I'm in total agreement with Peter, and I have a mobile gallery. And it's being used.

By the way I participate in what are probably the best shows in the country and as long as the show is in a street I have not had any problems with the shows, and it has increased the bottom line in my income and expense statement.

For more details write to mabatart@gmail.com

Mobile Booth1.jpg

Mobile Booth5.jpg

• Ynon: Absolutely awesome!. I looked at your attached jpegs and your mobile gallery IS the future,....and no doubt cheaper than the horrible sum of show costs over a relatively short period. Good luck and keep the ideas flowing, this may be just the beginning. And the naysayers will be copying your ideas down the road, be ready for that!

• Someone offering to take me to the parking lot to see their "art gallery" seems a little creepy to me. I also doubt any show would be cool with you selling stuff from the parking lot, even if you're a paying vendor. If you have too much stuff to show and you think it will sell, you should pay for a larger booth space.

• Yeah, seems creepy to me too. Kinda reminds me of those guys who hold open their trench coats or opens their trunk and says, "Man have I got a deal for you!  Just step this way."

• Reminds me when living in Las Vegas in 1970’s. Not unusual for neighbor to come over and ask if you want a new TV. “Friend has a truck load”. Phone calls to business “want a case lot of shipping tape. got a truck load at......” . Mob was hijacking trucks and unloading in Vegas.

• This is actually a fairly common thing, I won't even be the 50th person to do this. I'm not talking about a non-descript gray trailer with a single swaying lightbulb and black light posters inside. I'm talking about a custom painted open air mobile art gallery with fixtures to hang large art on outside walls. Rear ramp would be entry, half the roof would be skylighted, and the interior would be well lit with balanced daylight bulbs. We would be only show art here during daylight hours (gets too busy when the sun goes down to split up our two person team). Forgive me but I don't see the seedy or creepy aspect at all. 

3.jpg

• It's no creepier than asking someone to spend $2500 on a painting or sculpture that is displayed on the street three yards from a storm sewer. 

This reply was deleted.