Top 10 Craft shows

There are many discussions on the top ten art shows.  I'd like to see discussion on top craft shows.

The big ones that come to mind are Yellow Daisy, Stone Mountain,GA  and Christmas in the Country, Hamburg, NY.  What are some of your top shows? 

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I realize this an old thread, but kicking it around on here. So...Yellow Daisy huh? Let me warn those who are not selling SOS to stay away...If you've got soup mixes, salsa, or soap you may very well have your best show there.

For all else here, just google the history of Stone Mountain Georgia (as though you wouldn't know already - LOL). They still light off fireworks above the carving of General Lee in the side of the mountain. Certainly not my market, but to each his own. We all have to find our niche.

• This brings up a question: How do we rate the "best" shows?

Angela, I'll start with you. What is your criteria to qualify as a "best" show? Is it sales only, as SA does? Or treatment of exhibitors? Venue? Space size? Weather?

• Today at Broad Ripple a person told that been rank high is important. I told him that ranking in this days does mean nothing.

A ranking only means potential sales for you. That ranking could base on sales from a painter or sculpture. I believe a good sample is Port Clinton. It is very good show for painting & sculpture you can not said that about photography. 

To me best way to rank a show it should be by field not as a group.

Another thing higher traffic means better odds of sales but what you want is buyers not lookers.

• Sales or potential for sales.

Larry Berman
        http://BermanGraphics.com
        412-401-8100

• Ok, would you consider returning to a show where there were SOS or the dreaded "country crafts" if you made good money there?

• I am new to this site. It has been recommended to me by several people. I have to say that this has made me wonder if, indeed, this is the group for me.

I do what I feel you consider the "dreaded county crafts". I crochet. It is an art form passed down to me from my grandmother. Though I most certainly can do what many consider "grandmother's crochet", I specialize in more modern things. One of which is amigurumi. I design most of my own work. 

I would most likely fit at the Yellow Daisy show well I suppose. But then again I fit into Comic Cons well, too. 

I am not ashamed of working in such an old tradition or passing this down to others. And I put a huge amount of effort into my work, my booth display and the image I want to project.

• I don't think that traditional craft is "dreaded" :) The challenge for those of us that market work best described as craft is finding the right fit. For me, a show that is heavy on traditional craft doesn't work. I don't know why exactly. The trickiest part of this business, to me, is finding your audience. I tank at Christmas in the Country. What I make (hand bound journals, paper collage) is not what people are looking for at that show.   It is unfortunate because it is 20 minutes from home but that is how it is. Doesn't mean I don't respect the work that does sell there. Sounds like you would kill there. Happily, there are enough shows around that most  of us can eventually find enough good ones to make a season. Takes time. I would love to see your work.

• Pat do you sell at Renaissance Faires? I bought the loveliest Journal cover at one a few years back. The diversity of all the handmade things I can find at events make them enjoyable to me as both a vendor and a patron.

I may have been in a sensitive mood when I posted this morning. Who knows.

And I will do my best to get some pictures uploaded of my work after the weekend. I am preparing for a Friday night and Saturday events.

• It’s funny…I was at a show 2 weeks ago. I overheard 2 artists talking. When one said, “So…what do you have?” The other replied, “We’ve got stuff on a stick.” That was the first time I have ever heard a maker of same using that term for their own work. I’ve only heard it (or another similar 1 syllable term) used by others as an insult.

• Isn't that why we do art shows, to pay the bills? Sometimes I do shows where I can park behind my booth. That's the ultimate convenience. But I won't go back if I can't make any money.

Larry Berman

This reply was deleted.