Good morning!  I'm doing my first art fair next weekend and would love to get my bearings beforehand! As an artist, I really like small paintings.  All of my paintings are until 5x7inches, with my newer paintings at 4x6.  I've made true to scale, color, and quality prints of 4x6 paintings but I worry that they are so small that people won't want to purchase them for $16 each. (also, is $16 a weird price? I love this number)  I put them in a 5x7 frame/mat and plastic wrap so you have an idea of what they would look like on your wall.

I just love small scale paintings, it's cute and delightful to me. I guess I'm getting anxious before the fair even starts.  I should probably just wait and see!  I have enough time that I could probably order larger prints, but my originals are 4x6 inches anyways!

Should I just focus on having a lot of inventory?

Have you seen artists with smaller paintings/work?

Here's a link to my instagram! These are more sketches though, not finished product. For that I'd look at my Etsy. Here's a specific example of the product I'm referencing. 

Thank you guys for your feedback!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Lydia,

I was on your Etsy site and I like your little paintings a lot.

I am just wondering if $16 for a print is'nt too much.

I sell a lot of double matted 5x7 ORIGINALS for $10.

The double mats are black and white and I got them long time ago at "clearbags.com" for less than a $ each.

I don't know where you will sell your work, I just hope for you that people have more money there than here in the South-West.

Have a great show!

• I have not seen many artists with only small work. I’m worried that if you are charging 16 dollars, you won’t sell enough to cover costs and make a profit. If you sold 50 of them, which to me is a lot of individuals who want to purchase your work on one weekend... 800 bucks... covering “all” costs... I just don’t see a profit even if the best case scenario plays out.

I guess you will know a lot more after a few shows. Maybe it will work out. That’s the biz we are in...
    • Hello! Those are for prints.  My big concern is that my originals are too small to sell in general.  I sold one at the last art fair.  I priced originals at $68 for labor and materials.  I think I'll just try to market myself as niche paintings for bathrooms and kids bedrooms.

• Can't tell if your pricing is good without knowing how much an original at the same size sells for. But in general, especially when selling smaller reproductions, pricing with a discount for multiples works very well because people usually need more than one (think three) to fill a space.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• I want to try 1 print for $15, 2 for $25, 3 for $35 and see if that works!  Or has your experience been to limit the deals?  Also - originals go for $68.

• Then just price them $15 and $10 for each additional.

Larry Berman

• Brilliant! thank you so much for your help Larry! :)

This reply was deleted.