Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Many of the artists here at AFI have full time day jobs in addition to their art work business.  Below are just a small portion of the artists at AFI who do something else for their day job. 

Michelle James  -  I work full time in IT and full time in Art Shows  -  she uses both sides of the brain.

Patricia Manus  -  My husband and I are both in IT for our day jobs  -  about as far removed from art as you can get!

Donna Jadis  -  I’m also a musician, actress, singer, and fiction writer - as well as being a technical writer for IT security during the week.

Jeffrey W. Boswell  -  I am a musician/music teacher learning to be comfortable in the visual arts.

Jennifer Mary Xerri  -  I am also a Dj!

Kim Shirley  -  I work part time at an ice cream shop...one of the coolest jobs I have ever had(and so much fun!)

Yes, Kim, your job sounds fun!

Brittany Bindrim  -  I am the vocalist and song writer for the band I:Scintilla.

Look up Brittany's band.  I googled it and found lots of info on her band.

Cathie Shaffer  -   My dad gave me a typewriter and a sewing machine for Christmas one year and I now use BOTH. I do medical transcription (typing) by day and bridal accessories by night. I designed costumes for our theatre group in our area for 10 years

Mary Jo Gardere  -  I’m a 30 year veteran elementary art teacher finally attempting to market my own art work.  Hoping to be successful enough to finally quit my “day job”!

Sue Cadamagnani  -  In college, I sold dog tags door-to-door.

I love the way Ilona describes her jobs.  Sounds like a great Life slogan.

Ilona Pileika  -  Graphic designer by education, jewelry artist by heart, meat market owner by husband.

What job are you juggling during the day to keep yourself afloat while you get established in the art fair business?

Views: 787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a system analyst by day. So yes I do use both sides of the brain...

Jerry is a welder by day, metal artist by night and weekends, I am a special ed assoc by day, and creative helper on nights and weekends, (though Jerry would say only on the weekends, I am tired some nights) those kids wear you out. 

Programmer analyst by day. In fact I will be up early tomorrow morning loading software for work before the show.

Used to be a working engineer but now I manage a portfolio of engineering programs full time.  I am a glass artist in all of my so-called spare time.  For the record, most engineers are very creative, many are musicians or visual artists by nature.

Until being laid off last year I worked full time in various IT roles.  Loved it when they "forced" me to travel.  Got chances to take photos all over the place. 

In addition to the Art World, I've also very active in several other organizations.  In September I had two weekends of Art Shows, then was gone for a weekend of dancing in Chincoteague (where I also got some great photos), spent the last Saturday at the Neptune Festival Art Show, then rushed to make an anniversary dance for another group.  I used to squeeze an occasional sports car race in between all the other activities, but haven't made one this year - yet. 

In addition to all that, I'm very actively involved on the committee putting on the Ocean View Art Show Oct. 12 & 13.  Over 100 artists will be in Norfolk, VA, next weekend. 

tell me more about the dancing, Dave ...

I am an administrator for a social work program working PT (30 hours per week). I have worked with this program/agency for 20 years so luckily they are very flexible with me :)

Christina Towell ~ Evening manager at a coffee shop / cafe, Antique Dealer, former B&B owner / operator.

I'm an architect by day, specializing in hospital design.  Then I play with pottery at night and on the weekends.

I tutor high school and college math 4 days a week, work on glass in mornings and other days.

I had more free time when I taught school full time - and I sponsored several after school activities!

Customer Service part to full time by day, Beaded Jewelry Artisan by choice....LOL! 

We own a farm (beef cattle) so I have to help out with the cattle work and basically whatever husband needs help doing including being THE Farmer Piper when he's away (so yes I drive tractors and fix leaking troughs, although my fencing skills are a bit poor though!).   I also do the farm accounts which really throws off my creativity.  Anyone who has to juggle jobs using both sides of the brain on a daily basis has my respect!

RSS

15% Off All Orders! We are offering 15% off every order now through May 1st, with our best wishes for a swift economic recovery for all!

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the 2018 Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service