In Connie's excellent video of the Lakefront Arts Festival in Milwaukee, I noticed that several artists essentially used a complete outdoor tent set-up within the huge show tent supplied by the event.  Why?

If using a 10x10 as a structure for adding walls, it seems to me that more light would come into the booth if the canopy is removed.  Why keep the canopy on and create a low ceiling within your space?  I've never used a canopy within an event tent...am I missing something?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the input, everyone.  Makes sense now.  Like Connie, I do an "inside" set-up when inside an event tent, and bring my tent's sidewall(s) to drape from corner to corner at night to close off the view.

• Most shows done under the large supplied tent of the promoter do not have any type of partitioning between booths and therefore many artists use their tent frame as the dividers/partitions. If you use a tent such as aTrimline and you want to put your side walls as partitions the walls zipper to the top to fasten.

This might be why some people put up the entire tent as a way to fasten the sidewalls. However, not all larger tents provided by shows have enough height to place a single tent and its included canopy.

Has anyone used a different method of securing Trimline or similar wall sides without zippering them to the top canopy? The Velcro attachments do not provide enough stability to securely hold the sidewalls.

I am doing a show in Texas on the July 4th weekend under a large promoter provided tent and would be interested to hear and see what others have used in this scenario..

We have been in this situation a few times before at JazzFest in New Orleans and I had to rig up some side panels that were zip tied to the top and bottom stabars and then hidden with curtains..

Watcha' Got?

• With the Trimline, you could flip the sidewalks upside down and use the grommet holes to zip tie to the Trimline framework. If the top fits under the roof it's easier just to set the whole thing up rather than to try to figure out an alternate.

The roof does leak in place at Lakefront and wind can blow rain into the back of you setup. The big tent does have monster walls that close.
  • A lot of times the light system requires the tent poles and some tent tops are connected to the poles.  Also the lights in indoor locations can be the wrong "color" and put an undesirable cast on the work.  My lights are designed to reflect off of the tent top and give an even lighting throughout the booth.  This works better for me than spot lighting since my work is under glass.

• Some artists don't trust the tent to not leak if it rains or afraid condensation will build up. Some need their canopy to set their display up. Extra visual security at night. I've set my own canopy up within large tents, like at Fort Worth.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• I agree Karen. I thought it was odd -- especially given the light. Natural light is best for viewing and the first two days were very overcast and dark, as you could also see from the video. What I think was going on was that maybe their panels were fastened to the tent frame so they put the whole tent up.

When we would do indoor shows we never used our tent. In fact, we always felt like it was a great opportunity to put up something nicer with a new configuration that we wouldn't do when weather was a factor, more of a gallery look.

This reply was deleted.